Reef nutrition

Which corals would you never (again) put into your tank?

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I have been reading several posts here about corals, which seem to take over the tank unwanted, and folks regretting decisions made in the past that are difficult to reverse. We could collect an inventory of these here to warn newbies such as myself from adding them naively into the tank.

I will kick this off with Palythoas. When I started this hobby, I bought corals online. One of them was a palythoa grandis from WWC without being aware of their toxicity. Kenny made me aware of this when I showed him a video of a fish in my tank that seemed to have an issue.

IMG_1444.jpeg

I have been reading several posts here about corals, which seem to take over the tank unwanted, and folks regretting decisions made in the past that are difficult to reverse. We could collect an inventory of these here to warn newbies such as myself from adding them naively into the tank.

I will kick this off with Palythoas. When I started this hobby, I bought corals online. One of them was a palythoa grandis from WWC without being aware of their toxicity. Kenny made me aware of this when I showed him a video of a fish in my tank that seemed to have an issue.

View attachment 54195

I got a two polyp frag of this a week ago after seeing some on youtube videos, how bad is this one? I know to stay far away from captian jerks. Should I be just as concern as jerks - and get rid of them or just be mindful?

What I wouldn't add is kenya trees, or zenia (not from them taking over as I kept them on islands) but the space they take up that far nicer corals could occupy.

I love anemones, but just feel like they're more trouble than they're worth in non-dedicated systems. Though we're considering rock flowers isolated to their own rock.

For us: green and brown button palys, as well as palythoa grandis and captain jerks (because palytoxin). Kenya tree. Green hairy mushrooms (love them, but they grow like gangbusters and are impossible to remove).

Mystic sunset encrusting monti. Only the growth edges look good and it's aggressive so will kill corals in its path. Pain in the butt to remove
Yes, I was waiting for this to come up :(. Any way to stop it's path? Mine already encrusted after 60 days in the tank.

I believe absolutely yes, and you should very carefully remove this but it in a bag and throw it away.
Dang it I'll definitely get rid of them, I should have suspected that when I saw he had 3/4 tanks filled with captian jerks for sell. I haven't seen them for sell at any other lfs or the grandis either so, I thought I was lucky when I saw the grandis.

Dang it I'll definitely get rid of them, I should have suspected that when I saw he had 3/4 tanks filled with captian jerks for sell. I haven't seen them for sell at any other lfs or the grandis either so, I thought I was lucky when I saw the grandis.
As much as I liked some palys, I would keep them on one frag disc or rock isolated from everything else. Kill new growth with kale paste. At the end I just gave away or toss it with care.

As much as I liked some palys, I would keep them on one frag disc or rock isolated from everything else. Kill new growth with kale paste. At the end I just gave away or toss it with care.

Is this something I should consider giving away, it’s one of the colorful grandis? I'd also be concerned about passing it to someone not educated about what they are getting. I hate throwing it away as well, but I dont want it in my tank knowing the risk.

Back