High Tide Aquatics

yngplo’s tank journal

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

I'm slowly upgrading all the equipment for my (first ever) reef tank, so I'd like some opinions from other club members.
I have a few questions:

What are the benefits of having an apex controller, is it better to invest in one of those now, or should I let my tank mature a little more?

My tank is about 3 months old now, so should I invest in an auto dosing system?

I saw that auto aqua made an auto water change/ato product, is that any good?

And lastly, I'm considering upgrading the lights to my tank, I currently use an ocean revive T247 light, are there any particular lights that BAR recommends?

My setup is a 50-gallon breeder with

aqueon proflex 3 sump
tunze nano ATO
and a SWC protein skimmer
I made my own rig to hold up a T247 ocean revive light.

Thanks in advance!
Paulo

Here’s a photo of my light mount (I’m pretty proud of it)
8c4fcda17f94f7ea9254566dc7513047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey!

What did you want the goal of the tank to be?
Sps? Mixed?

Are you testing regularly? That would help determine if auto-dosing is useful or not.
If not, I’d recommend investing in the Hanna Alkalinity checker, and Phosphate checker.
You should also test for calcium, magnesium and nitrate.

I would recommend an Apex if you like to automate things but its not really necessary.
It can control heaters, check salinity, check ph, and opens up options for Neptunes dosing and auto water changes/top offs.

I don’t know anything about Ocean Revive lights, but there’s a ton of lighting options (depending on your goals).
Is there a reason you want to upgrade?

Nice, welcome to BAR. Do you want me to move this thread to the Tank Thread forum? I like the rock formation. What is holding it all up?

I never used an apex, auto dose system, or auto water change.

Hey!

What did you want the goal of the tank to be?
Sps? Mixed?

Are you testing regularly? That would help determine if auto-dosing is useful or not.
If not, I’d recommend investing in the Hanna Alkalinity checker, and Phosphate checker.
You should also test for calcium, magnesium and nitrate.

I would recommend an Apex if you like to automate things but its not really necessary.
It can control heaters, check salinity, check ph, and opens up options for Neptunes dosing and auto water changes/top offs.

I don’t know anything about Ocean Revive lights, but there’s a ton of lighting options (depending on your goals).
Is there a reason you want to upgrade?
Hi! I'm gonna make it a mixed tank, I'm slowly gonna put more and more coral inside, and I test my tank with salifert kits once a week. I was hoping to get lights that I could control with my phone so that's why I'm thinking about upgrading

Nice, welcome to BAR. Do you want me to move this thread to the Tank Thread forum? I like the rock formation. What is holding it all up?

I never used an apex, auto dose system, or auto water change.
I use, AquaMaxx's reef welder. Yes please, if that's the appropriate forum for this to be in

Apex is a very nice convenience to have. Automation really helps.

Are you already manually dosing?

Auto water changes would be great in a perfect world, but I’d use that money for coral and good food.

Apex is a very nice convenience to have. Automation really helps.

Are you already manually dosing?

Auto water changes would be great in a perfect world, but I’d use that money for coral and good food.

I’m not manually dosing yet, I’m doing water changes once a week and my tank + coral are looking pretty good

I’m not manually dosing yet, I’m doing water changes once a week and my tank + coral are looking pretty good

Well if your parameters are holding steady then I would wait on that.

definitely something to think about though.

if you do get the apex, I highly recommend the dos unit to go with it. It’s very reliable and easy to use and you’ll never outgrow it.

Well this thread is a cross between equipment advice and tank thread. Personally, I like new members to create a tank thread and talk about their tank so as to keep a journal. The other benefit of having a tank thread is so that everyone can see your progress on a single thread. DBTC typically requires a tank thread so we understand what your tank can handle and feel comfortable with providing DBTC frags to your system. It's a win win for the community.

You can also check out other tank threads to see how they started it. I can move this or you can start a new thread there. It's completely up to you. Thanks and welcome again

Well this thread is a cross between equipment advice and tank thread. Personally, I like new members to create a tank thread and talk about their tank so as to keep a journal. The other benefit of having a tank thread is so that everyone can see your progress on a single thread. DBTC typically requires a tank thread so we understand what your tank can handle and feel comfortable with providing DBTC frags to your system. It's a win win for the community.

You can also check out other tank threads to see how they started it. I can move this or you can start a new thread there. It's completely up to you. Thanks and welcome again
Please, if that's okay, I'll just turn this into my weekly tank log!

Ok, moved it over to Tank Journals. Do you want to change the thread name to something like yngplo's tank or something like that? Are you able edit the thread name? If not, I can help you with that too.

Ok, moved it over to Tank Journals. Do you want to change the thread name to something like yngplo's tank or something like that? Are you able edit the thread name? If not, I can help you with that too.

Really appreciate the help!

Back