Jestersix

My 200 gallon mixed reef tank

What's the alk ca mg looking like now?

Alk has stayed at 8. Ca hovering around 350 and maagnesium 1150. Ive been doing 10% water changes here and there. Everything seems happy at my current parameters so Im trying to maintain them where they are at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That’s very generous.

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that color has anything to do with sourced location. I’ve seen different colors from both locations. But a gold tipped one is more rare and beautiful. Best of luck keeping it. It can be a tricky coral, but one of my favorites.

Alk has stayed at 8. Ca hovering around 350 and maagnesium 1150. Ive been doing 10% water changes here and there. Everything seems happy at my current parameters so Im trying to maintain them where they are at.

Looking better! Raise the ca and mag just a bit and then maintain them there forever! I'd setup the dosing pump now so you have awhile to feel it out before you really need it.

Thank you. That’s very generous.

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that color has anything to do with sourced location. I’ve seen different colors from both locations. But a gold tipped one is more rare and beautiful. Best of luck keeping it. It can be a tricky coral, but one of my favorites.

Hmm. I need to fact check people more... it sounded specific enough and legit to where I assumed it was right.

Upon further research, I read this from reefcentral.

“There is no way to be absolutely positive of the corals origin. There are clues that can help though. MOST Indonesian elegance corals come from a deep harsh environment. Their growth rate has been stunted by this environment causing them to build a flattened cone shaped skeleton. These corals will not show signs of being fragged. MOST Aussie elegance corals are collected in much better environments where the corals growth rate can be incredibly fast. They produce large meandering wall shaped skeletons. These large corals are fragged into many smaller corals for the aquarium hobby. The skeletons are normally a different color as well. The Indonesian skeletons are normally a dark color from being barred in the mud/silt at the base of coral reefs. There can be many different life forms attached to the skeleton. The Aussie's are usually white with very few organisms attached to the skeleton.
The polyp itself is NORMALLY much different as well. By the time the Indonesian corals reach the states they are usually in pretty bad shape. Their tentacles are much smaller. (less than an inch) The polyp is also much smaller when compared to the size of the skeleton. The power of their sting and feeding response is also very weak. Most Aussie corals will have much longer tentacles. (sometimes several inches) In many of these corals their nematocysts/stinging cells will be so abundant they will appear as light colored rings around the tentacles. I haven't seen a newly introduced Indonesian elegance with these rings in many years. The feeding response and stinging power of these Aussie corals can be simply incredible.”

If this thing grows like a monster, Ill assume its aussie then.

But yeah!! I really like the gold tips... it just so happened to be a more rare and expensive kind...

Looking better! Raise the ca and mag just a bit and then maintain them there forever! I'd setup the dosing pump now so you have awhile to feel it out before you really need it.

Got it all ready to go! Only issue is figuring out where to mount the dosing pump and bin storage for the alk, mag and calcium. My wire management is a disaster.

Neptune has a number of those gold tip elegance for awhile now. You might want to check with them, but I believe Robert said they were of Aussie origin.

Neptune has a number of those gold tip elegance for awhile now. You might want to check with them, but I believe Robert said they were of Aussie origin.

Oh its probably aussie then. Thanks for the info. I should look out for its stinging tentacles and isolate it! Neptune’s elegance selection is very nice but really expensive in my opinion. If I got my current colony from Neptune, it might have costed me a months paycheck! I talk to Dylan a lot but maybe Ill be able to meet Robert soon.

On a side note!
Almost everything in my tank is bought from local hobbyists since I think it promotes a nice buy and trade environment. Have not found a LFS that allows trade-ins for store credit or another specimen. If you or anyone knows a place, please let me know!

I only go to LFS as a last resort like I did with the sea hare at AC, since every person I talked to and asked didnt have one. You got me lowkey regretting the purchase due to the chance it might not have sufficient food. My only argument to that is that AC’s tank had 0 algae. Atleast mine has diatoms and some long hair brown algae? :)

So the argument about AC really doesn't hold true since they're a LFS and their business is sales. They bring stock in all the time, but that doesn't mean that they have the means to support them. Sea hares are always brought in and are then sold relatively quickly. Most tanks can't support them. The odd bits of diatoms and long hair brown algae won't hold them over since those are all parts of a maturing tank. Once you get through that initial phase you will find little to no algae to support even the smallest of sea hares.

Depends on who you ask and if they have a stock list of where it shipped in from. It also helps to know their sources. ;)

You got me lowkey regretting the purchase due to the chance it might not have sufficient food. My only argument to that is that AC’s tank had 0 algae. Atleast mine has diatoms and some long hair brown algae? :)

I had one a few years ago, lasted a little less than a year before it starved, and my tank always has a decent amount of algae.

On the journey to find out how to find sufficient food for my sea hare...

Maybe Ill go to Australia and personally bring back an Elegance and compare to debunk the Indo or Aussie dilemma. Ill call it an indo elegance for now because it seems on the more exotic side. Will make me feel better about how much they cost.

You can feed it nori probably after it cleans out your algae.

Or lend it out to friends with algae issues as you said.

Just don’t let that beautiful tank cleaner starve :)

How much of this do I dose for a 200 gallon tank? Trying to raise alk from 7.5-8.

0795ef1cbb8b78336c394d8fdfc6f9d0.jpg

7 anthias left.

3e6a552b8a651a5367c26c710b638e85.jpg

Who wants to guess what happened?

Also, Yellow watchman killed the other yellow watchman. Tank is a warzone.

19 fish remain.

Back