Neptune Aquatics

Website upgrade 2019

Currently the thumbnail for our site is the generic XenForo one. Can we put our fish logo in there instead? It’s one line of code in the header.
Are you using Safari, new Catalina macOS?
Seem to be some problems with that.

For anyone experiencing website issues on Safari:

Please reset your cache
Develop > Empty caches

If you do not have "Develop" top menu item, enabled it under
Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> small button at bottom.

Then ALSO quit safari and restart Safari.

Our website was rebooted, and it seems Safari is confused about cached data.

I’m using Safari on my iPad. Other sites’ icons show correctly. Our site is showing an icon too, its just that it’s the default XenForo one not our icon. It’s not a huge deal but I was hoping it was just an easy fix.

I accidentally clicked on the Kessil advertisement banner in the forum and the link is broken

1572934307059.png

Reactions: JVU
@JVU, did that work? I’d prefer to not have to clear all my data if I don’t have to.
No, it didn’t fix the problem but it did clear a bunch a saved settings that I would have preferred to have kept.

To me it seems pretty clear that we just didn’t update the thumbnail icon from the default XenForo icon to ours in the website upgrade. Mark, maybe you can ask our guy to look into that?

No, it didn’t fix the problem but it did clear a bunch a saved settings that I would have preferred to have kept.

To me it seems pretty clear that we just didn’t update the thumbnail icon from the default XenForo icon to ours in the website upgrade. Mark, maybe you can ask our guy to look into that?
The icon link is fine. It points to this: https://bareefers.org/forum/styles/revo/xenforo/logo.png
There is definitely something funny going on with the latest Safari and our website though.
It really seems to have something to do with caching.
It comes and goes, and applies to other images at times also.
It only seems to fail on new versions of Safari. Chrome, Firefox, old Safari, all work fine.
We are looking in to it, but my leaning is that it is a XenForo/Safari problem, not really our site.
So we are not making much progress.

Try this:
Under Safari, File -> New Private Window.
That opens a new thread separate from all your other caching, history, and so on.
For me, that worked reliably.

Just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing; @JVU is referring to the Favicon. On the desktop on chrome it will be the little icon in the address bar tab and anywhere you see the page bookmarked.
image.jpg

I left the mouse pointing at the generic one that Chrome uses when there’s not one listed in the <head> of the site.
image.jpg

This is how the code for it appears on my website.

On the iPhone, Favicons look like this.
7030EACC-9CBD-436C-AB89-28B95CFB9B61.png

I hope that clears up any confusion.

@JVU
@Flagg37

So we are trying to fix a completely different problem! :eek:
Glad you clarified. We will look into that.

The problem we are trying to fix:
On rare occasions, with Safari running under Catalina, we get the logo, and sometimes other images, as dead links. Like below.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.41.29 AM.png

Just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing; @JVU is referring to the Favicon. On the desktop on chrome it will be the little icon in the address bar tab and anywhere you see the page bookmarked.
View attachment 12942
I left the mouse pointing at the generic one that Chrome uses when there’s not one listed in the of the site.
View attachment 12943
This is how the code for it appears on my website.

On the iPhone, Favicons look like this.
View attachment 12944

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Yep, thank you for clarifying that

All are missing when you look at the site through desktop browser and not tapatalk.
I looked at it through a browser.
I really need details.
Key is exact link. Copy paste from address bar at top of browser.
Also which browser and computer type.

Back