Reef nutrition

3rd time's a charm 85g Rimless tank

Hello everyone, after several years of trying to get back to this hobby since mid 2000's that I was unfortunate to had been forced to leave this hobby, and for the 3rd time I attempted to get back in... I Finally got a tank that I think I can enjoy for many years to come, I had gotten a Nano Frag 20 gallon and then a Nano 30 gallon Cube couple of months ago, but it was to get my feet wet again and spark the flame or should I say spark the LED. Anyway, I want to share my build as I go, this time unlike the past where i had rushed to get it running and stocked, this time I will wait patiently
wink2.gif
, to get the hardware it needs that will work correctly to help me create a great Reef again!

this time I am beginning with a rimless tank from Aqua Japan, this is their 85 gallon 48" model, that comes with stand and glass sump, but I already have the sump for sale or trade as it is not what i envision for this build, IMO this original 35" sump is way too big and leaves almost no space for other equipment, as this system measures 48" long x 17 3/4" wide x 23 3/4" high. I know that this brand is not the best like the RedSea tanks or others; but it is what I can afford. So ahead of people tell me that I have commited a crime and wasted all my money and why I bought it, first i need to give you a bit of my history; my first tank was a JEBO 75 gallon, with the rounded corners, the built in PC lights on the hood and some weird filtration on the hood that used a pump to draw water in to a mini AIO/sump build on the hood, the it passed thru media, sponges, etc then back down. (mine had it, but it was also drilled and with a corner overflow, so that was never used. as for the lights, the 4 PC lights, eventually had it modded to T5 HO with better ballast, then removed the entire hood and had an ODDYSEA Metal halide fixture, yes another JEBO, and I had it modded also with CoralVue Ballast, Dual ended (HQI) Phoenix 14k and also moded to T5 HO and I never once had any issues
goldfish.gif
, and I had that tank fully stocked for about 3 years until I upgraded to a 120g long. so I know this is not high end.

here are some pictures of the tank on its way to my house on Wednesday

IMG_20191127_141017.jpg

Now let's see the new tank... sorry i didn't take pictures of the stand being assembled... but here it is, the cabinet detail
IMG_20191129_091412.jpg

I was told it was gloss black, but then seems they changed the finish
sad2.gif

IMG_20191129_091343.jpg

I guess that could be easier to hide imperfections or finger prints, specially from my 4 yr old
ROLLEYEA.gif

Last edited:
this shows the inside and the glass sump
IMG_20191129_091406.jpg

that center brace it is removable to remove the sump if needed... too bad the center brace it is more for the doors to close than to hold weight, I would had loved not to have it, the 65 gallon does not have it, damn it!

Welcome back!

Did you leave enough space between the wall and the tank to be able to reach back there? It looks too close to me and this is one of those things you can’t easily change once you fill.

Welcome back!

Did you leave enough space between the wall and the tank to be able to reach back there? It looks too close to me and this is one of those things you can’t easily change once you fill.
yes, i am still collecting the hardware I will need... so I can still move the tank

And finally I got my new LED lights, I don't know why here in the US, this are not popular. They are high power in range with Ecotech Radions, AI Hydras 52 and Kessil AP700.
This are AQMAI LRM 100w, ultra slim.

IMG_20191205_211401.jpg

IMG_20191205_182801.jpg

Last edited:
They are ITALIAN, and the craftsmanship is in another level, completely silent, and seem to have good potential.

Features:
At Less than 0.80 inches thick, the Aqamai LRM LED Reef Light is the most compact high-powered LED light on the market
Dimensions: Length 14.1" X Width 6.3" X Thickness .78"
100 watts. 2 clusters of 15 LEDs.
LED colors: cool white, UV, indigo, royal blue, blue, green & two different reds
6 color channels (managed with the Aqamai smart phone App)
90 ° diffuser lenses
Almost completely silent (under 28 dB), thanks to innovative cooling system.
Hang with enclosed hanging kit or mount to the aquarium using the optional Hydor Aqamai Light LRM Aquarium Mounting Kit
The internal battery back up stores your settings in case of power outage

1575667758620.png

Here is a YOUTUBE Video

here is a Marine And Reef.com chart that listed the required lights, see how they are on the same category

https://www.marineandreef.com/Articles.asp?ID=121

Funny -- I have the same exact setup for one of my tanks. 85G Aqua Japan, Jebao 5000 pump, and 2X Aqamai LRMs with arms (though, I'm about to swap them out with AP700s...just because I'm curious).

One thing I did do away from the stock setup is that I put in an exterior U pipe and nozzle for the return through the return hole and used the original return hole in the tank as an emergency drain. Something to consider.

I also added those felt rounds under the stand legs so I can literally slide the tank out if I need in a pinch -- saved my bacon a few times.

Funny -- I have the same exact setup for one of my tanks. 85G Aqua Japan, Jebao 5000 pump, and 2X Aqamai LRMs with arms (though, I'm about to swap them out with AP700s...just because I'm curious).

One thing I did do away from the stock setup is that I put in an exterior U pipe and nozzle for the return through the return hole and used the original return hole in the tank as an emergency drain. Something to consider.

I also added those felt rounds under the stand legs so I can literally slide the tank out if I need in a pinch -- saved my bacon a few times.

Awesome! how do you like the AKAMAI LRM lights? what mode do you run them? also is the Jebao 5000 pump sufficient? I will be plumbing the return in 1" from the pump to the back of the tank as high as I can then reduce to 3/4" and yes I will be doing a Herbie drain system, so the main drain in on the 1.25" Bulkhead, and the emergency is on the 3/4".

got any pics of you setup?

good call, I did put some on my frag tank (for sale) and helps slide, the new 85g has only the plastic, and my floor is wood, so it slides ok, but I will add those to help. thanks for the tip

Last edited:
Back