Reef nutrition

3rd time's a charm 85g Rimless tank

From awhile ago but you can see the lights and the return
20181005_100554.jpg

Awesome! how do you like the AKAMAI LRM lights? what mode do you run them? also is the Jebao 5000 pump sufficient? I will be plumbing the return in 1" from the pump to the back of the tank as high as I can then reduce to 3/4" and yes I will be doing a Herbie drain system, so the main drain in on the 1.25" Bulkhead, and the emergency is on the 3/4".

got any pics of you setup?

I've been a big fan of the aqamai lights and pumps... my only complaint now is it can take some time for the app to catch up with the Android OS. So have issues using my current phone to play with things; and keep my old Note 4 on standby as my controller instead. The other thing I don't care for is that the arms can rust... just surface rusting from the salt. to be expected given salt water environment but still... a nit of mine.

Program-wise, I use the coral boost and adjust the time scale a bit to suit my preferences... but, the program is solid and works really well for growing, particularly softies and torches... but that also means your lights are running 24 hours a day. Also, you can't do moonlight yet... been hoping for moonlight to work since the beginning... I was probably one of the first people to get the KPS and LRMs the minute the hit the shelves. I started with one of each and like them so much I got more...

As far as PAR goes, I have not taken the time to measure (though I swore I did but just can't find the image) on the LRM. I do have a PAR mapping for the stock light, which tbh is pretty decent...so save for a backup just in case you are in a pinch.

As far as plumbing goes, I plumbed it using 3/4" straight from the pump. I'm a wuss and lazy so went with nozzles and flex tubing rather than hard plumbing. The 5000 is just about right size for the tank, assuming you don't open your return wide-open. It runs quiet... I think I run it at about 80% or so off the top of my head... don't quote me though.

Overall, the tank and stand have been trouble free... I did have some issues with the pre-drilled MDF holes being inconsistent but beyond that, great tank for the money.

@NanoCrazed did the lights created an issue with Algae? what program did you ran? also got pictures of the cabinet bottom/sump
Nyah, at least not for the majority of the cause -- the algae is because I brought over some infected rock from my old system and I run super dirty tanks. I solved it with fluconazole and GFO...

I also like to run full spectrum so that certainly didn't help my cause...

I don't have a plumbed shot, I don't think... I just have one in my abandoned tank journal that shows placement of the sump next to the IM 5G reservoir... fits perfectly with the stock sump btw.

Been thinking about swapping out the sump with a Eshoppes RS-200 sump so I can stick in the IM 15G ATo reservoir but my system work well enough that I hate to jack with it.

The tank stand has held up perfectly... I've had spills and drips, and often time unattended and unnoticed for days... no obvious problems so far.

Instead of the styrofoam, I picked up a super thick yoga mat from Walmart... like 6mm thick and cut to fit. $35 for 6ft long mat. helps with the leveling and dampening of pumps. This might hold up better than the styrofoam as the foam will compress and may deteriorate over time. Plus, it helps minimize water damage at the bottom seams.

today i got busy painting... I painted the back of the tank "BLACK" and currently painting the equipment cabinet for electronics. (pictures coming soon)

in the mean time here is the tank view so far

IMG_20191208_131530.jpg

IMG_20191208_131537.jpg

today i got busy painting... I painted the back of the tank "BLACK" and currently painting the equipment cabinet for electronics. (pictures coming soon)

in the mean time here is the tank view so far

View attachment 13162

View attachment 13163
nice!

That's one of the things that I wished I would have done when I first set up my tank. Only saving grace is I have dark grey walls so it gives some depth by virtue of that without the black

Back