Neptune Aquatics

Anyone breeding Berghia?

so, I've been lucky -- my filefish have always been model citizens. I've always kept a pair in my tanks because I love those guys.

The only time something bad happened was my first one nipped at a leather, that then sprayed it with toxin, and killed it.

outside of that isolated case, my filefish run after all aiptasia and eat only pellets or occasional frozen treats

I almost feel the wand spread them more similar to when using chemical to kill these buggers...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yup -- the wand may look like it's solving a problem but it actually spreads those things. When aiptasia (and maybe majano) are stressed, they release spores and they can also reproduce from bits of tissue. I've often hear of people getting more of those pests using the wand than not.

This is why for systems where I don't want aiptasia, I use a $12 craftsman soldering iron. I cook em on the spot and the area around them. zero chance for the victim to come back and haunt me

Yup -- the wand may look like it's solving a problem but it actually spreads those things. When aiptasia (and maybe majano) are stressed, they release spores and they can also reproduce from bits of tissue. I've often hear of people getting more of those pests using the wand than not.

This is why for systems where I don't want aiptasia, I use a $12 craftsman soldering iron. I cook em on the spot and the area around them. zero chance for the victim to come back and haunt me
But that means you take rocks out..some times it not possible

so, I've been lucky -- my filefish have always been model citizens. I've always kept a pair in my tanks because I love those guys.

The only time something bad happened was my first one nipped at a leather, that then sprayed it with toxin, and killed it.

outside of that isolated case, my filefish run after all aiptasia and eat only pellets or occasional frozen treats
Do they eat majano?

I've had 3 pairs of bristletail filefish over last 3 years. No issues.

Orange spotted filefish will nip SPS though. But useless against aiptasia...not their thing. They love acros and other corals

I've had 3 pairs of bristletail filefish over last 3 years. No issues.

Orange spotted filefish will nip SPS though. But useless against aiptasia...not their thing. They love acros and other corals
Do u have a pic I can refer to to identify the right one?
Better yet, intersted in selling one?

How long u had the filefish? Did it nip at sps?

I had it for about 2 months before it died of accidental causes with the pump.
It was in my fuge the whole time, for testing.
I never tried it with SPS, only zoas.

Note: I decided it was too slow of an eater for my huge mess.
But if I find a couple of majanos again someday, I might very well get one quick.
I would rather lose a couple of corals than bleach my tank again.

I started an aiptasia breeding tank today, 10g PetCo tank lined with 2” ceramic tiles from Home Depot along the bottom, a heater, and an air pump. I put a bunch of aiptasia (and aiptasia fragments) in there.

I’ll grow them out for a while until I have hundreds, then get some Berghia.

I had it for about 2 months before it died of accidental causes with the pump.
It was in my fuge the whole time, for testing.
I never tried it with SPS, only zoas.

Note: I decided it was too slow of an eater for my huge mess.
But if I find a couple of majanos again someday, I might very well get one quick.
I would rather lose a couple of corals than bleach my tank again.
One question if you do not mind.
Are they easy to catch of you add it to a system? Am trying to see if I can try it but bsn fish it out If it doesnot work oit.

I started an aiptasia breeding tank today, 10g PetCo tank lined with 2” ceramic tiles from Home Depot along the bottom, a heater, and an air pump. I put a bunch of aiptasia (and aiptasia fragments) in there.

Lighting? Will you feed them?

you have to feed the system. after running a pest tank for so long, I noticed that the system hits a steady state... and the pest nems don't reproduce quickly or at all after a while.

One question if you do not mind.
Are they easy to catch of you add it to a system? Am trying to see if I can try it but bsn fish it out If it doesnot work oit.

They're really trusting and easy to catch. they can jump though if startled and cornered. But I usually manage to catch mine easily as they're naive and come up for feeding whenever I am near

They're really trusting and easy to catch. they can jump though if startled and cornered. But I usually manage to catch mine easily as they're naive and come up for feeding whenever I am near
Ha ha this is the 2nd time someone calle them naive and dumb ha ha I started to like this fish more. I will get one and add it to the tank and see what happen...
Do you know who has them? I try not to buy fish online...

Do u have a pic I can refer to to identify the right one?
Better yet, intersted in selling one?

Don't have a pic readily available... but here's one from LiveAquaria...

as far as having them, Neptune occasionally gets them.

As for mine, I have 2 pairs but they are male/female pairs that took me awhile to find the right sexes... so unfortunately, I'd like to hold on to them. One of my favorite fish as they're great to watch and they change shades instantly so extra cool. I just wish they would get it on and make me a family tree!!

Don't have a pic readily available... but here's one from LiveAquaria...

as far as having them, Neptune occasionally gets them.

As for mine, I have 2 pairs but they are male/female pairs that took me awhile to find the right sexes... so unfortunately, I'd like to hold on to them. One of my favorite fish as they're great to watch and they change shades instantly so extra cool. I just wish they would get it on and make me a family tree!!
Oh yeh I would not break them apart either.
Will swing by couple LFS and see what they have. Thanks alot for the infos

Back