Kessil

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

So who knows what kills chalices when acros are thriving? Don’t wanna influence answers so I’m not gonna offer any other information yet. I’ve lost some chalices over the last several months. Any ideas?
Low nutrients did not sit well with chalices with me in the past.
Also flow and light, they like low of both.

F2700B87-EDE4-48D9-9AB1-34FD2D815AFB.jpeg

Overdue picture of the (very large compared to what I’ve seen called button?)scoly from @ofzakaria. Thank you! And thanks to @max_nano for transporting to me and not letting it “fall off the back of the truck” lol. I’m sure it was tough.

I'm going to go with high Alk
Months ago I did catch it being higher than I thought likely due to an inaccurate Red Sea kit. Have gone back to salifert and have had it between high 7s and 9. Could explain what I lost awhile back, but have still had something issue here and there. Maybe just delayed reaction?
I’ve got a used kh director and 2.1 dosing pump I’ll hopefully get setup soon. Was giving me lots of problems trying to connect to it, but thanks to @ofzakaria i think I know what I have to do. It was previously paired to someone else’s network and won’t let me connect to it until I connect it to a pc connected to my network or do a factory reset.

Last edited:
Low nutrients did not sit well with chalices with me in the past.
Also flow and light, they like low of both.
Haven’t changed flow or light, but could be based on certain areas. I would say I’m pretty sure low nutrients is not my problem. I did have higher than isn’t like phosphates a few months back, but have corrected it. Maybe I went too fast, but I wouldn’t expect to still be having problems with the off chalice here and there.

I’ve kept chalices with high alk, it doesnt kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It didn’t kill them for you. Chances are a broad group and have several different types. Also, it matter what other parameters are as well, not just alk. Maybe high alk with high light and lots of feeding is less likely to cause problems than low light and no feeding.

I agree, most sps thrive in high flow and PAR but most chalices are more low to medium.
Haven’t changed either of those things so I doubt that’s my issue. Could certainly be omen oiece if the puzzle though. Maybe they were fine until something else was stressing them. Hard to say.

i’m following along in this one with you Mike. I’ve also had issues with chalices while my sps were doing fine.
Any theories as to why? I’m pretty stumped and just trying to keep up with the tank as best I can anencephaly hope I stop losing things. Seems to be doing better for now at least.
Could be a combination of factors, where one thing being off may not be a big deal, but multiple things being norm quite ideal can cause problems. That’s my best guess for now.

It didn’t kill them for you. Chances are a broad group and have several different types. Also, it matter what other parameters are as well, not just alk. Maybe high alk with high light and lots of feeding is less likely to cause problems than low light and no feeding.

That is very true for my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’d be curious on this as well. I’ve read they prefer higher magnesium levels, 1400+. I’ve also had issues with them when nitrates were too high and too low, as well as all swings.

Trying out some rowaphos since ive been struggling to get my phosphates down below .15-.2 recently with extra water changes and regular gfo. Maybe that tells me I’ve got a lot stuck in my rocks? Who knows. It says 250 grams will remove 3.0 from 264 gallons, so I used 60 grams in the bag they give you for my roughly 320 gal. Hopefully that’s not way too much.
How much rowaphos do other people use?
@Rostato @ofzakaria

If I did my math right, it looks like that dosage will remove 0.594 po4. You only have 0.2; I hope that’s not too much. How did you come up with the 60 gram dosage?

I figure there is more in the system than what is in the water column. It also doesn’t say how fast it takes that amount out.
I dumped a little in the bag hoping for 25-30 grams and it was more like 60. Looked so small I just left it. I also figure since it’s just in the bag and not a reactor it will Be less efficient.
This isn’t why I’m asking others with experience how much they actually use.

I figure there is more in the system than what is in the water column. It also doesn’t say how fast it takes that amount out.
I dumped a little in the bag hoping for 25-30 grams and it was more like 60. Looked so small I just left it. I also figure since it’s just in the bag and not a reactor it will Be less efficient.
This isn’t why I’m asking others with experience how much they actually use.
Start with passive in bag in a high flow area, then test every 3 days and see the movement. The most effective is in reactor but it's also the fastest si if you overdosed you can tank your po4

Back