Jestersix

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

AquaJapan85
====

No wonder I've been struggling with keeping my alk up this past week or so... Just looked at the Ca chart... something(s) sucking it up.

I've largely ignored my Ca since it's been super high after that dosing accident... but now looks like my system is calming down but with a vengeance.

1598476713855.png

You sure it's not just precipitation?
I thought that at first but didn't see any signs of precipitation. I did however keep looking at the tank and kept thinking pieces looking bigger but didn't think much of it then. But, looking at the graphs and with my Mg steady, only likely thought would be system consumption.

I noticed different consumption rates of alk at different alk levels. Maybe a higher ca woke something up in your corals that made them want strong bones.

is there a suggested ratio of alk to ca levels? I know they are to be dosed equally but that seems like a simplification to benefit the masses. With trident I suppose it would be possible to tweak dosage based on intake? Idk I’ve test ca maybe twice cause Steady alk seems like the first thing to tackle

I noticed different consumption rates of alk at different alk levels. Maybe a higher ca woke something up in your corals that made them want strong bones.

is there a suggested ratio of alk to ca levels? I know they are to be dosed equally but that seems like a simplification to benefit the masses. With trident I suppose it would be possible to tweak dosage based on intake? Idk I’ve test ca maybe twice cause Steady alk seems like the first thing to tackle
on there it will tell you what the balanced level of cal is for a given (desired) alk, and vice versa

AquaJapan85
====

Yup. Definitely tank is recovered and running in overdrive.

Looked at my rack and everything just looks bigger overall...

Some quick shots...

UC Peep show
View attachment 19000
WD #1
View attachment 19001
WD#2
View attachment 19002
RR Angry Bird
View attachment 19003
Route66 Merlin's Staff
View attachment 19004
TSA Fruity Pebbles
View attachment 19005
MC Prom Queen aka CC Pink Highlighter
View attachment 19006
SC Orange Passion
View attachment 19007
Chaos Les Pauls
View attachment 19008
LRO Heartthrob
View attachment 19009

Those SPS looks great. Just curious why are most of them stilll on the frag racks instead of attached on the rocks.

Those SPS looks great. Just curious why are most of them stilll on the frag racks instead of attached on the rocks.
Mostly because I can't make up my mind on where to locate them to... :)

I recently installed a vertical frag rack as well to gradually acclimate some pieces to higher PAR. So keeping on the plugs help with the process. Hah, but somehow, I've managed to fill it already...

At some point, I'll have to mount the pieces, the plugs are already fully encrusted. First, i have to scrap some remaining pavona that's regrown on my rocks... they come back like dandelions.. :/

This was 10 days ago... it's now full;
20200814_110457.jpg

AquaJapan85
====

Yup. Definitely tank is recovered and running in overdrive.

Looked at my rack and everything just looks bigger overall...

Some quick shots...

UC Peep show
View attachment 19000
WD #1
View attachment 19001
WD#2
View attachment 19002
RR Angry Bird
View attachment 19003
Route66 Merlin's Staff
View attachment 19004
TSA Fruity Pebbles
View attachment 19005
MC Prom Queen aka CC Pink Highlighter
View attachment 19006
SC Orange Passion
View attachment 19007
Chaos Les Pauls
View attachment 19008
LRO Heartthrob
View attachment 19009
Those look beautiful.

I read that Alk uptake is roughly 3:1 to calcium. It’s pretty close, I’m dosing 75ml Alk per day and 26ml calcium (Red Sea foundations). I’ve just given my trident control over dosing - 1 week in - the process is you set the base line and give trident a +/- percentage to tweak, mine is 40% for Alk and 30% for cal. Trident also requires a set value for Alk and cal levels so it can adjust. Seems to be working, some days it doses 80ml Alk, others it doses 70 ish. Calcium dosing has fluctuated 2-4 ml

I read that Alk uptake is roughly 3:1 to calcium. It’s pretty close, I’m dosing 75ml Alk per day and 26ml calcium (Red Sea foundations). I’ve just given my trident control over dosing - 1 week in - the process is you set the base line and give trident a +/- percentage to tweak, mine is 40% for Alk and 30% for cal. Trident also requires a set value for Alk and cal levels so it can adjust. Seems to be working, some days it doses 80ml Alk, others it doses 70 ish. Calcium dosing has fluctuated 2-4 ml
One thing i learned the hard way is that if the test value falls outside the control range, the DOS defaults to programmed values and not auto adjust doses. I left mine alone when alk was creeping up before and before you know it, alk went out of control, literally and figuratively.

Right now, using Randy's #1, i have to dose 140ml a day to barely keep my system stable versus before I only had to feed 115ml per day. So something is kicking the system in high rev.

AquaJapan85 & Imaginarium 3.7
===

Well, that sucks -- my XR15 died on my 3.7G... sigh.

And a double suck... i wanted to experiment and see about homing a WD up under high PAR. So, i created a mini colony some time ago that's been growing well and living at the bottom floor of my vertical rack. I ran out of rack space so i rushed the moving of it to the top floor on Thurs. Just saw it go full RTN. Probably a difference of 150-200PAR... the WD mini colony coming from my hardest main colony, i figured it be able to handle the stress. Dunno why I thought that... grr.

Need to start from scratch again. Ugh.
20200830_004736.jpg

One thing i learned the hard way is that if the test value falls outside the control range, the DOS defaults to programmed values and not auto adjust doses. I left mine alone when alk was creeping up before and before you know it, alk went out of control, literally and figuratively.

Right now, using Randy's #1, i have to dose 140ml a day to barely keep my system stable versus before I only had to feed 115ml per day. So something is kicking the system in high rev.
Right- it does default to programming. Trident and DOS don’t know the ppm of what you’re adding, so instead of going outside the % you set it will default back to original. It should send you text and email alarms for those times though, giving you a chance to manually test and manually dose to bring it back in-line. that’s it’s failsafe, so it doesn’t nuke your tank.

a lot of things can contribute to an increase in uptake- when I bolted my c02 scrubber on and got pH up, my Alk uptake was significantly increased. I got trident alarms and manually tested to confirm, dosed to get up to baseline, and haven’t had another issue yet - steady for three months.

I’d say those frags kicking into growth are the contributors.

Last edited:
AquaJapan85
====

No wonder I've been struggling with keeping my alk up this past week or so... Just looked at the Ca chart... something(s) sucking it up.

I've largely ignored my Ca since it's been super high after that dosing accident... but now looks like my system is calming down but with a vengeance.

View attachment 18932

What are you using here? I mean to measure and show it like this?

AquaJapan85 & Imaginarium 3.7
===

Well, that sucks -- my XR15 died on my 3.7G... sigh.

And a double suck... i wanted to experiment and see about homing a WD up under high PAR. So, i created a mini colony some time ago that's been growing well and living at the bottom floor of my vertical rack. I ran out of rack space so i rushed the moving of it to the top floor on Thurs. Just saw it go full RTN. Probably a difference of 150-200PAR... the WD mini colony coming from my hardest main colony, i figured it be able to handle the stress. Dunno why I thought that... grr.

Need to start from scratch again. Ugh.
View attachment 19036
How often do those urchins throw frags off that rack?

How often do those urchins throw frags off that rack?
Not too often surprisingly. They do pick up a loose piece here and there...but usually, i can grab it off them.

...now of I can only find my piece with a bunch of dragon lady bounces.... rode off into the moonlight last night...

Back