Cali Kid Corals

Custom 180G Cantilevered Reef System

Interesting return manifold. Why that square thing rather just a line of three tees ending in an elbow?
Good catch. The original stubs was 4x 1” pipes and they all had to fit within a 16” 2x4 framing studs so the spacing between them was super tight.

The Abyze return pump require a 1.5” output so in order to minimize back pressure and increase maximum efficiency, I needed to run the 1.5” pipe from the pump as far as possible to the stubs. However, there isn’t space up there to use 1.5” fittings so that was the best compromise I could come up with. Using a “line three tees” would require different arrangement and it doesn’t look symmetrical or as cool so I didn’t take route…lol.

Agree, great job plumbing it!
I don't understand the plumbing for the UV sterilizers...
The UV sterilizer is connected to the full siphon line in the “bean animal” configuration from the tank upstairs. When the gate valve is adjusted for full siphon, the line will be completely flooding the two sleeve chambers (containing the UV bulbs) to avoid burn-out. I opted to put it on the drain vs the main return line because I wanted maximum dwell time during use. Theoretically, the velocity of that line should be a little less than that from the return line. The sterilizer will also be monitored by the Apex to be shut off if there is not enough water in the drain pipe. I do this by monitoring the return pump’s energy draw. My other option was to use a flow sensor but that’s one more thing to fail so I didn’t go that route.

Nice work!! How far away is the water storage and or mixing station if needed? . Wondering if there's a sink wash down area also in the same room plus any floor drainage..Projects going to look great when everythings lit and pumped up!

Nice work!! How far away is the water storage and or mixing station if needed? . Wondering if there's a sink wash down area also in the same room plus any floor drainage..Projects going to look great when everythings lit and pumped up!
Yes, there’s a wash down sink and even a floor drain about 12ft away on the opposite side of the room.
CC18DA1A-3BE1-4C76-9F15-F89FBD044225.jpeg

I'm sure the client can't wait for live stock. Are they new in the hobby as in going to learn to help in maintenance/care or let you take care of everything so they can just relax and enjoy the show?. Sounds like a win for both regardless thanks for sharing your project Robert. Wondering about stock list? Did the client request any favorite fish or letting you decide? The 180s going to be killer think I'm more excited about the nuts and bolts below watching it all come together!!! Thanks again for all the progress photos!

Back