got ethical husbandry?

Monterey Bay Aquarium Behind-the-scenes Tour: Fri, May 20 11:30am-1:00pm (RSVP by 5/13)

Will you attend 5/20 Behind the Scenes Tour?

• Total voters
I'm excited to attend. I'll see if I can get my wife + kids to come down and they can do the normal side while I do the behind the scenes.

If I wear a swimsuit and bring a snorkel do I get to freedive the reef?

I'm excited to attend. I'll see if I can get my wife + kids to come down and they can do the normal side while I do the behind the scenes.

If I wear a swimsuit and bring a snorkel do I get to freedive the reef?
The reef tanks aren't more than 6 feet, so you might not even need that snorkel.

The tuna tank on the other hand...

Update: It looks like we have 14 replies “yes” for the tour, so there are 6 more spots left. If you are a contributing member and want to take the tour, please reply by Weds. If there are any spots left after Weds. they will go to +1s of those contributing members who replied “yes”. Thanks everyone!

I have not been here before so I'm thinking that I will drive down early Thursday and check out the aquarium that day while doing the behind-the-scenes with everyone on Friday, based on the advice of checking out the public side first. So my two questions are this:
1. Can I easily make two days of the aquarium? I would think I'd feel rushed trying to see stuff before the tour starts, but I also don't want to walk away thinking I could have just stuck with the one day.
2. Planning to grab a hotel Thursday/Friday nights, so does anyone have recommendations for the area?

I have not been here before so I'm thinking that I will drive down early Thursday and check out the aquarium that day while doing the behind-the-scenes with everyone on Friday, based on the advice of checking out the public side first. So my two questions are this:
1. Can I easily make two days of the aquarium? I would think I'd feel rushed trying to see stuff before the tour starts, but I also don't want to walk away thinking I could have just stuck with the one day.
2. Planning to grab a hotel Thursday/Friday nights, so does anyone have recommendations for the area?
I like the Monterey aquarium, but it's not the Smithsonian. In 2 to 3 hours you could see everything at a leisurely pace. If you wanted to just get a glimpse of stuff before the tour you certainly could make it through the whole building in an hour.

Monterey is a decent size city, with nice countryside around it. You certainly won't waste your time if you visit and stay. The area immediately around the aquarium is a bit of a tourist trap vibe, which isn't bad but you'll likely want to drive to a different area to explore more.

The other option is bring, or rent, a bike. There's a good bike trail there which can take you all the way to Ft Ord and Laguna Seca if you wanted to go for it.

Agree. It’s great, and I like to take my time. But it only takes around 3 hours or so to look around at everything, and I’m getting eye-rolls well before then from whomever I brought with me.

Last edited:
@Chromis

I just noticed this on the website. Will tickets be available for purchase at the door for those that need them since we’re a special event? From the website, it does appear tickets can still be purchased for tomorrow online.

42F89C4B-AA64-4327-AB47-F502108633E1.png

Last edited:
See you all tomorrow! The tour starts at 11:30a so please arrive earlier than that to buy your aquarium tickets which are required to get into the building.

We have space for 1 more plus-ones. I DM'd the maybes (markovkaa & Bruce) but didn't get a reply.

Hi Liz…if there’s room for one more, I’d like to take one more person with me. Thx!

@Chromis

I just noticed this on the website. Will tickets be available for purchase at the door for those that need them since we’re a special event? From the website, it does appear tickets can still be purchased for tomorrow online.

View attachment 38410
Oh - I didn’t realize this. Thanks! Yes looks like even membership cards are digital only now. Make sure you buy your tickets or memberships in advance!

I see Robert may have taken the last plus one spot. My fiancé tested negative today and is going to join if possible. If we are full for the behind the scenes tour, no problem. We are going hiking together after so she's coming regardless of availability today. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I see Robert may have taken the last plus one spot. My fiancé tested negative today and is going to join if possible. If we are full for the behind the scenes tour, no problem. We are going hiking together after so she's coming regardless of availability today. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Bring her along. Someone will likely cancel or show up too late to catch the tour.

Back