High Tide Aquatics

Light Recommendations?

Matthew Meyer

Supporting Member
For my Fluval 13.5g. Its going to be 1 anemone and 2 baby clowns. Stock light has to go because it gets wayyyyy too hot. I know Kessil and AI Prime are contenders.

For my Fluval 13.5g. Its going to be 1 anemone and 2 baby clowns. Stock light has to go because it gets wayyyyy too hot. I know Kessil and AI Prime are contenders.
Oh man, you're going to end up with the rotating @thesassyindian light mount.

c290db83ec36581cc592da1e05da266517ef9e9a-14.jpg

It's a light holder that wraps around the tank, and holds a light over the fluval. I've been thinking of switching my light holder between tanks, and if you want this I'll switch it over to you. You can hang an AI prime from it, or I assume a kessil. LMK if you're interested in it.

Either of those options you mentioned would be totally fine on a Fluval. It's not very deep and they can put out enough light for an anemone for sure.

Oh man, you're going to end up with the rotating @thesassyindian light mount.

View attachment 39324

It's a light holder that wraps around the tank, and holds a light over the fluval. I've been thinking of switching my light holder between tanks, and if you want this I'll switch it over to you. You can hang an AI prime from it, or I assume a kessil. LMK if you're interested in it.

Either of those options you mentioned would be totally fine on a Fluval. It's not very deep and they can put out enough light for an anemone for sure.
I appreciate the offer. I am really hoping for a minimalist look though. The whole reason I went with the fluval was because I wanted to use the stock light and lid, even if that meant a fish only tank. I am really saddened to have to switch. I think I am going to go with a gooseneck mount. Depends on the light. Shoot, maybe I'll scrap the nano at this point. I'm not sure I'm cut out for nano's.

I appreciate the offer. I am really hoping for a minimalist look though. The whole reason I went with the fluval was because I wanted to use the stock light and lid, even if that meant a fish only tank. I am really saddened to have to switch. I think I am going to go with a gooseneck mount. Depends on the light. Shoot, maybe I'll scrap the nano at this point. I'm not sure I'm cut out for nano's.
There's people who have cut the stock hood and ran other lights. However the most reliable path is hoodless plus a different light. Particularly because all the other lights can't be that close to salt water.

That being said, the simplest solution is install a fan. There's mods to do that through the feeding hole. It also has the side effect of removing one more spot for jumpers.

You can hang my AI sol from the ceiling. Free. Without a controller it is on 100%, so just mount it to the ceiling
Thay is extremely generous of you. I might just have to take you up on that. I would love to see your setup again now that I have mine up and running. I am a novice when it comes to lighting. I would be nervous suspending somthing that could fall in or get bumped. I'll watch some BRS videos.

There's people who have cut the stock hood and ran other lights. However the most reliable path is hoodless plus a different light. Particularly because all the other lights can't be that close to salt water.

That being said, the simplest solution is install a fan. There's mods to do that through the feeding hole. It also has the side effect of removing one more spot for jumpers.
The stock light raised the temp up too high. Im going to have to go without the lid to ensure evaporation I think. I wish i could just afford 2 chillers, but I really want to stock my main tank.

Thay is extremely generous of you. I might just have to take you up on that. I would love to see your setup again now that I have mine up and running. I am a novice when it comes to lighting. I would be nervous suspending somthing that could fall in or get bumped. I'll watch some BRS videos.
You can hang my AI sol from the ceiling. Free. Without a controller it is on 100%, so just mount it to the ceiling

I have a controller for you if you do go this route. I think anything more than an prime is overkill.

I strongly suggest going for the AI Prime rigid mount. The gooseneck looks clean the first time you set it up. Once you move it around for water changes/tank maintenance. it starts taking weird shapes.
The mount @richiev mentioned above, is something I made to hold a Hydra26 over my tank.
That light is too heavy for the 5mm glass our tanks have, so I had to make something that doesn't use the tank glass for support.

Also, I'd go with AI Prime, and skip Kessil.

have you decided which route you're going to take?
Whats your plan for the stock light? I have the same tank- would love to add a second stock light.

Currently Testing AI Sol. If I am not using the stock light you can have the old one Newfly. I do have a small sump light you can have if you want. I'll message you with a picture. I just have to dig it out.

Currently Testing AI Sol. If I am not using the stock light you can have the old one Newfly. I do have a small sump light you can have if you want. I'll message you with a picture. I just have to dig it out.
Thanks! I specifically looking for the Fluval stock light. When you upgrade your light and have no need for the stock light, drop me a line

Back