High Tide Aquatics

Black Hawaii Office Aquarium

I’ll give you some more dry rock if you need more. Real rock is certainly better. I can pick something of the right dimension. You will need to cycle it. You can also have that small anemone split. It’s small which isn’t good for survivability right now but if it starts growing it may pull through and you can have it. Was from @IOnceWasLegend and found my overflow and pumps which stressed it so it split.

It’s in my refugium for now and is much happier there.

If this tank stays softies and clowns, I don't see why the water couldn't just be maintained through weekly changes. Maybe put some rubble in the ato filter area to make sure the tank gets some porous media for biological filtration, but I think the black tank is a cool little experiment and I say keep it going. A quick google search says lava rock is fine for a reef tank, might leach some heavy metals over time, but that can be diluted out pretty easily on this small scale.

Its going to be just 1 anenome and 2 clowns. Very simple. I have 4 old marine pure spheres in addition the the sand and lava rock. I am confident filtration will be adequate with weekly WC. I think we are a ways out from an anenome @Qwiv , But i will do an icp test before the anenome. Clowns are pretty tough. Im sure they will be ok?

Its going to be just 1 anenome and 2 clowns. Very simple. I have 4 old marine pure spheres in addition the the sand and lava rock. I am confident filtration will be adequate with weekly WC. I think we are a ways out from an anenome @Qwiv , But i will do an icp test before the anenome. Clowns are pretty tough. Im sure they will be ok?
I meant if/when it gets bigger and heals. I would not move it now as it finally seams happy in its spot and I would want to see that it is actually getting bigger thriving first anyways. I'm not going to sell it and don't want to grow 2 out. It's living in the refugium until it dies or someone takes it. @IOnceWasLegend has pics of his. All I can take is a photo of the foot as they settled on the glass as far away from the overflow intake for now. Seams to not like flow (actively moving away from mine) so maybe it would like that tank. Fingers crossed it will be nice and big again and that I can see more than its back side one day.

You can breed clowns in a tank with a clay pot and an air pump, sure they will be fine. Maybe look into running the tank with higher DKH (say 9 vs 8) since you don't have a calcium carbonate based substrate and don't need a calcium. Some salt mixes are pretty high and that might assist on maintaining chemistry with WC alone and not add any burden to you. Would get some other opinions on that as well, that is just an idea. Probably only be a small difference, but I think it would help. Another benefit of that rocky have is it should not pollute the sand with white crud all day long. When I tried black sand, it was with real "live" rock and it would stay black for maybe 2 days before all the crap just coming out of the rock made it look like shit. That time the rock all had worms in it drilling holes and would poop out a steady flow of white rock dust.

I meant if/when it gets bigger and heals. I would not move it now as it finally seams happy in its spot and I would want to see that it is actually getting bigger thriving first anyways. I'm not going to sell it and don't want to grow 2 out. It's living in the refugium until it dies or someone takes it. @IOnceWasLegend has pics of his. All I can take is a photo of the foot as they settled on the glass as far away from the overflow intake for now. Seams to not like flow (actively moving away from mine) so maybe it would like that tank. Fingers crossed it will be nice and big again and that I can see more than its back side one day.

You can breed clowns in a tank with a clay pot and an air pump, sure they will be fine. Maybe look into running the tank with higher DKH (say 9 vs 8) since you don't have a calcium carbonate based substrate and don't need a calcium. Some salt mixes are pretty high and that might assist on maintaining chemistry with WC alone and not add any burden to you. Would get some other opinions on that as well, that is just an idea. Probably only be a small difference, but I think it would help. Another benefit of that rocky have is it should not pollute the sand with white crud all day long. When I tried black sand, it was with real "live" rock and it would stay black for maybe 2 days before all the crap just coming out of the rock made it look like shit. That time the rock all had worms in it drilling holes and would poop out a steady flow of white rock dust.
I think Ill take you up on that light. I think Ill need something stronger than what I have for the anenome. Hey, will you be at the bbq on the 26th? Im looking forward to meeting more members.

I think Ill take you up on that light. I think Ill need something stronger than what I have for the anenome. Hey, will you be at the bbq on the 26th? Im looking forward to meeting more members.
Still TBD on the BBQ. I have plans that night I need to plan around with other people.
I don't think you will need Kalk on an Anemone/Clown tank. Kinda has a PH risk to it with no real up side. WC should keep up with all your demands. I was more saying to swing the Alk/CA balance more to Alk as managing PH swings in a small tank without any calcifying corals seams like a decent idea and adding buffer is safer then Kalk.

Decided to bite the bullet and get an inkbird temperature controller and Fan. Still unhappy with the esthetic. Still undecided on the light. Still looking for the plug for picasso clowns and a fire shrimp. Nobody seems to have them. #TankStillEmpty

16568223147897600832467189145523.jpg
1656822200136705166412306231747.jpg

Yea these fans are just for backups. I was testing how fast it would drop the temperature 2 degrees. Took about 30 minutes. I am quite pleased with this product and how quiet it is.

Unfortunately High Tide had a problem with their system. I'll have to source somewhere else or wait another 2 weeks. Tank was ready 45 days ago. Need to get this system started.

Back