got ethical husbandry?

DBTC table at member events

JVU

President
BOD
We want to try out something to help make DBTC sharing easier. Idea is to have a separate table at member events like swaps for DBTC items. Each item will be in a clear container and labeled like a frag swap. Include name of coral and your username, and say DBTC on the label.

Members can browse and take what they are interested in, kind of like the freebie table (no picking rounds). For each one a member takes they need to let the offering member know so they can be added to the DBTC later. We can try different ways to do this, but I’m thinking there will be a sign up sheet on the table where you just write your username, what you took, and from what member. Try to write more legibly than I do. Can also send a PM or tell in person, in addition to writing it on the sheet.

If you want to share stuff without being in DBTC, don’t put it on the DBTC table, just include it in the swap or on the freebie table. At least for now, I recommend keeping the more highly sought after DBTC items with their own special rules separate from this system, approved and handed out manually like normal.

Let’s try it out this coming swap and see how it goes. If you have suggestions, let us know.

We want to try out something to help make DBTC sharing easier. Idea is to have a separate table at member events like swaps for DBTC items. Each item will be in a clear container and labeled like a frag swap. Include name of coral and your username, and say DBTC on the label.

Members can browse and take what they are interested in, kind of like the freebie table (no picking rounds). For each one a member takes they need to let the offering member know so they can be added to the DBTC later. We can try different ways to do this, but I’m thinking there will be a sign up sheet on the table where you just write your username, what you took, and from what member. Try to write more legibly than I do. Can also send a PM or tell in person, in addition to writing it on the sheet.

If you want to share stuff without being in DBTC, don’t put it on the DBTC table, just include it in the swap or on the freebie table. At least for now, I recommend keeping the more highly sought after DBTC items with their own special rules separate from this system, approved and handed out manually like normal.

Let’s try it out this coming swap and see how it goes. If you have suggestions, let us know.

I’d recommend at least having a tablet/computer on the table or someone with a device making sure that the DBTC is tracked when the frag is picked up. Otherwise, with how many frags I know fly around at a swap, things can get mixed up and forgotten about when dipping/acclimating time comes.

Good idea though to have a dbtc table!

Last edited:
I’d recommend at least having a tablet/computer or someone with a device making sure that the DBTC is tracked when the frag is picked up. Otherwise, with how many frags I know fly around at a swap, things can get mixed up and forgotten about when dipping/acclimating time comes.

Good idea though to have a dbtc table!
Yeah that is my main concern too, hence the sign out list right there on the table. Since the person giving the frag has to document it, I was thinking having someone else there trying to do it in DBTC wouldn’t be as useful as just a sheet of paper people log their gets on. The giving people can come by later to update, or we can post the list. The real-time electronic equivalent would be people just sending a quick PM on their phone to the person offering. Clearly honor code.

I’d say the DBTC table was a pretty awesome success on our first try. We had a ton of coral available. Nearly filled up 3 pages of items. There were a few items left over at the end that we made free (not DBTC) to avoid throwing them out, in case you don’t see all of yours listed.

I think having a lot of coral on the DBTC table also made the frag swap go faster, since if gave another way to get chances to get basically the same types of corals outside of swap rounds. We finished the frag swap rounds in record time today even though there was quite a bit of coral brought.

So as a reminder, people who offered up their corals for the DBTC table should go through the lists, looking for your username in the right (last) column, then for each one, say in BARCode that you gave it to the member who picked it up, listed in the left (first) column. There’s no way to automate this, you need to go in and do it yourself.

I took pics of the check out lists at the end-

1679786194399.jpeg

1679786211441.jpeg

1679786232898.jpeg

I’d say the DBTC table was a pretty awesome success on our first try. We had a ton of coral available. Nearly filled up 3 pages of items. There were a few items left over at the end that we made free (not DBTC) to avoid throwing them out, in case you don’t see all of yours listed.

I think having a lot of coral on the DBTC table also made the frag swap go faster, since if gave another way to get chances to get basically the same types of corals outside of swap rounds. We finished the frag swap rounds in record time today even though there was quite a bit of coral brought.

So as a reminder, people who offered up their corals for the DBTC table should go through the lists, looking for your username in the right (last) column, then for each one, say in BARCode that you gave it to the member who picked it up, listed in the left (first) column. There’s no way to automate this, you need to go in and do it yourself.

I took pics of the check out lists at the end-

View attachment 46249
View attachment 46250
View attachment 46251

Hey, I’m lazy and I don’t wanna look at that list. :) I gave you guys a QR code to scan to log your DBTC frag if you took one from me that takes you to the right the right page!

Hey, I’m lazy and I don’t wanna look at that list. :) I gave you guys a QR code to scan to log your DBTC frag if you took one from me that takes you to the right the right page!
I didn’t know it was possible for the recipient to log it, tell us more

Also I’m adding them but some are not going though in BARCode, not sure why so far. It’s not just that they never requested because I’ve had several like that work.

Last edited:
I didn’t know it was possible for the recipient to log it, tell us more

Doh! Seems you’re right. Would be nice to have the receiver have that ability in this case if this activity becomes a more common occurrence at events.

Reactions: JVU
I’ve come across some names that aren’t usernames so far I think, so let us know your username:

Dan Lem
German

Doh! Seems you’re right. Would be nice to have the receiver have that ability in this case if this activity becomes a more common occurrence at events.

Probably a good idea too if originator isn’t a supporting member anymore or isn’t paying attention to the DBTC.

Reactions: JVU
Probably a good idea too if originator isn’t a supporting member anymore or isn’t paying attention to the DBTC.
It isn’t the originator it’s the giver. Nevertheless I agree there are plenty of use cases where it would be helpful for the receiver to be able to log it.
@svreef

Also I’m adding them but some are not going though in BARCode, not sure why so far. It’s not just that they never requested because I’ve had several like that work.
Update- I refreshed/restarted browser and was able to give them, so try that if it isn’t working

maybe get a volunteer to man that maybe next time? I didn't get a chance to look at it until after the swap. too busy.
What would they do?

We have to be careful with adding more volunteer positions. We didn’t even fill all of the basics this time, which is why you were too busy, Eric manned the raffle tables, I and others filled in places we weren’t expecting.

Back