Cali Kid Corals

Float switch/Sensor for Skimmer

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Hey so with the success of my co2 scrubber I’m trying to find ways to make it last longer and connecting the intake to the skimmer cup lid seems to be the best approach. If the skimmer overflows though it’s tank crash city so I have the line ran outside to help out for now. Question is what’s the best/cheapest/easiest way to install a shut off for my skimmer if the collection cup fills up too much. I have an apex and I’m hoping I don’t need to buy the whole FFM module to connect a tiny magnetic sensor.

Sweet didn’t know about the breakout box. Do the ends of the float switch connect directly to that box or is anything else needed to set it up

Yeah, they just plug right into the breakout box. The wires are usually pretty short on the float switch so you may need some extra wire, but that’s it. You might also want to consider the avast marine breakout box instead of the apex one.

The apex one has a shared common and if you plug in six I/O devices, it can be kind of a pain. The Avast marine one has six separate ones plus spring loaded connectors versus screws.

If you don't have an Apex (or a Breakout Box) here's an interesting solution, can't speak from experience on how well it works.

Some caveats about this, is once it trips you have to reset it manually, it's not an off/on thing like a ATO switch. And there's an audible alarm when it goes off (not sure how loud/annoying it is) which all things considered might be something you'd want. Not something I would use to let you know when to empty the skimmer, maybe for a skimmer collection container full level, but for just shutting things off in the case of overflow it'll do the job. $60 online.

If you don't have an Apex (or a Breakout Box) here's an interesting solution, can't speak from experience on how well it works.

Some caveats about this, is once it trips you have to reset it manually, it's not an off/on thing like a ATO switch. And there's an audible alarm when it goes off (not sure how loud/annoying it is) which all things considered might be something you'd want. Not something I would use to let you know when to empty the skimmer, maybe for a skimmer collection container full level, but for just shutting things off in the case of overflow it'll do the job. $60 online.

I had one and it’s terrible, optical sensor is shit. Goes off for no reason, and won’t turn off once it’s filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reviving ...so after the bob is connected to apex and sensor is also. What code is needed for it to function as it should?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back