Reef nutrition

Complete Bonus/Ultra Coral List - 2024 Current

Would an Aussie Highlighter Acro be considered bonus?

And would a Peach Hammer be ultra? Peach hammer looks to be kinda spendy online though I am not familiar with it, just received from a friend.

On the topic of hammers, what definition of bicolor hammer are we using? Google images shows two different kinds:

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3400.jpeg
    IMG_3400.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 34
Can you post pictures to help better gauge?

I am having trouble getting good pics since they are in my sump, and I'd hate to have the decision depend on the quality of my photograph.

The acro is this one, my frag is a little over 1":
https://battlecorals.com/products/aussie-highlighter

The hammer is this one, mine is about 3" across with several small heads:

I don't know if a $50 acro counts as a bonus. Seems like the peach hammer probably should?

I am having trouble getting good pics since they are in my sump, and I'd hate to have the decision depend on the quality of my photograph.

The acro is this one, my frag is a little over 1":
https://battlecorals.com/products/aussie-highlighter

The hammer is this one, mine is about 3" across with several small heads:

I don't know if a $50 acro counts as a bonus. Seems like the peach hammer probably should?
Agreed; peach hammer yes (bonus), acro no. (And I've updated the list to reflect this.)

Last edited:
Based on the price alone, my copper hammers should also be on that list - https://tidalgardens.com/stock-coppertone-hammer.html.

Are we going off of price alone, relative price, "desirability" which is kind of hard to quantify? Because right now, butt munchers ($20-25 online) and Australophyllia wilsoni ($100-200 online) are both bonus, with clear disparity in ease of fragging and propagation. But butt munchers are a relatively desirable zoa, and wilsoni is a relatively desirable LPS.

Based on the price alone, my copper hammers should also be on that list - https://tidalgardens.com/stock-coppertone-hammer.html.

Are we going off of price alone, relative price, "desirability" which is kind of hard to quantify? Because right now, butt munchers ($20-25 online) and Australophyllia wilsoni ($100-200 online) are both bonus, with clear disparity in ease of fragging and propagation. But butt munchers are a relatively desirable zoa, and wilsoni is a relatively desirable LPS.
It's a combination of all of the above. Price is a consideration (if something is consistently >$150 online, that's considered bonus), as is desirability + a more subjective sense of, "How often have we seen these at swaps before, and how popular do they seem for people to purchase?" This can include some cheaper corals (goniopora are popular, but not very well represented at swaps, so @derek_SR all gonis are considered bonus for this swap; though this may change in the future if we're flooded).

Also, the list is fallible since it's the product of some things being grandfathered in, the bias of people who made the list (myself included), and does not factor in what people in the club may or may not actually have/are willing to bring to the swap. If someone has a wilsoni + wants to make a case for why it should be considered an ultra, I'm happy to listen. :)

The other problem with online or in store pricing is that it’s all over the place, and integrating those prices for the “true” value isn’t straightforward. There are tons of examples of corals being 3x price difference or more between different sellers. Just quick googling shows buttmuncher zoas for example (since it was mentioned), ranging $25-$110 from reputable places.

Sorry one more quick question - looks like any and all gonis are bonus?
Something like an Amazeballs or Glitter bomb would surely be ultra. I’m not sure that we’ve ever had anyone bring those though since they are relatively new entrants to the hobby.

I would say that those fall under the gold/orange category, no?

To be honest, I think gold hammers might fall off this list in the near-ish future. They are becoming more prolific and I am seeing them regularly at very affordable prices.
They grow like weeds for me. The one I got at my first swap in 2022 from @IOnceWasLegend has produced at least 30 polyps I've traded/given away, even after fragging them constantly and not allowing a giant colony to grow. Another one I got that looks like the tidal gardens one last year I've gotten about 12+ off a single polyp to start with. Meanwhile my wilsoni have grown maybe a few millimeters.

I would say that those fall under the gold/orange category, no?

To be honest, I think gold hammers might fall off this list in the near-ish future. They are becoming more prolific and I am seeing them regularly at very affordable prices.
Really? I thought "gold hammer" meant the stalks were gold, like gold torches - my pfp is a gold hammer I have, with gold on the sides. Orange hammers, like truly orange orange hammers, seem really uncommon (unlike the bronze/copper/brown hammers I see everywhere)

Good to hear they grow fast - still waiting for any and all of my LPS to start growing: my newer acro have grown more than the pfp hammer, who had a 2 month head start (it's done nothing. no growth.)

Really? I thought "gold hammer" meant the stalks were gold, like gold torches - my pfp is a gold hammer I have, with gold on the sides. Orange hammers, like truly orange orange hammers, seem really uncommon (unlike the bronze/copper/brown hammers I see everywhere)

Good to hear they grow fast - still waiting for any and all of my LPS to start growing: my newer acro have grown more than the pfp hammer, who had a 2 month head start (it's done nothing. no growth.)
The one you have there looks more like a green variant with slightly gold or brown stalks. Usually with hammers when they refer to gold it's the end of the tentacles.

I've yet to see a true orange branching hammer that wasn't just a brown one that was juiced with tons of actinic, or more of a gold look.

Wall hammers from Australia however can get a more neon orange or yellow look but good luck keeping one alive long term.

This is an old thread but it's really helpful to see the types:

Everyone’s tanks are different, in respect to coral growth.

Gold on the stems IMO would be considered a bi-color and would likely be judged on a 1-off basis for which category it falls into.

The one you have there looks more like a green variant with slightly gold or brown stalks. Usually with hammers when they refer to gold it's the end of the tentacles.

I've yet to see a true orange branching hammer that wasn't just a brown one that was juiced with tons of actinic, or more of a gold look.

Wall hammers from Australia however can get a more neon orange or yellow look but good luck keeping one alive long term.

This is an old thread but it's really helpful to see the types:

The orange I was thinking of were the "metallic orange' and "neon orange" ones that are in your links. I saw it in some picture long ago and just have never seen them in person. Did not realize they were that rare.

My PFP is tiny - here's I think the same picture of the hammer so you can actually see it (taken like 2 months ago, under different lighting and in a different spot than it is now)

IMG_2084.jpeg

Last edited:
The other problem with online or in store pricing is that it’s all over the place, and integrating those prices for the “true” value isn’t straightforward. There are tons of examples of corals being 3x price difference or more between different sellers. Just quick googling shows buttmuncher zoas for example (since it was mentioned), ranging $25-$110 from reputable places.

I have a generic green mille…

Hi so in regards to: CoralExotic Bounce Zoa.
I don't think that zoa is bouncing. I have it and it grows in my tank and is liking it but dose not want to bounce. From what I herd from other people they ware saying the zoa bounce like that if is irritated. My has lost the bounce int he process.
This is the one that you guys refer to?
View attachment 54788
In regards to this CoralExotic Bounce Zoa, I spoke with Tin at the CFM, he said to have this zoa bounce you need to have it a high par. Mine is on sand so no bounce, so is not an ultra than? I got mine from the swap last time with no bounce, but before it was ultra. I would bring a few frags if is qualified as ultra. If not I'll just get other :D

Back