Kessil

$19.95 ICP test now?

A catch-22! Correct, I’m using Rowaphos for silica removal — and seeing it fall. Which is good!

And, as you’re suggesting, PO4 on my Hanna test, yesterday, registered 0.01.It too is falling.

Nitrates are consistently measuring 10 and corals are looking good. So, I’m staying the course until silica and the other red flags are minimized.
But careful zero po4 or very low, while no3 is high or moderately high is not good condition and can promote cyano, dino also reportedly thrive in such condition.
My advice is to balance. Meaning stop using rowphse for some time, let your po4 climb a bit, then use rowphse for a week then stop for a week..something like that will give a breather to your nutrients to sustain your bio filtration..
Or reduce the amount of rowphse and move it to passive location so less flow go through it to reduce the po4 removing action a bit..
Something to think about..

To address possible over-dosing and metals found in the 3/23/20 ICP test (above), I'm doing the following:
  • weekly or bi-weekly 30 liter water changes (around 12% system total) and,
  • I've added layers to one sump's filter cups to include: Rowaphos, Polyfilter (7"x4"), and Cuprisorb (100g). I've been using the Rowaphos like this for a month or more to try reduce silicon. Seems to be working. Adding the other two layers to try to draw down some of the red values from ICP test above (from 3/23/20).
We'll see how this goes. Another ICP test in May.

View attachment 14813 View attachment 14814
What’s your theory as to how it became elevated in the first place?

What’s your theory as to how it became elevated in the first place?

Silica? I don't know for sure, of course, but what I have read suggests it could be related to new tank and new dry rock. I've read and have been reassured to wait it out, the value will decrease, and silica will disappear. It has fallen significantly, evidenced by the two ICP tests. Couldn't happen sooner -- believe me.

But careful zero po4 or very low, while no3 is high or moderately high is not good condition and can promote cyano, dino also reportedly thrive in such condition.
My advice is to balance. Meaning stop using rowphse for some time, let your po4 climb a bit, then use rowphse for a week then stop for a week..something like that will give a breather to your nutrients to sustain your bio filtration..
Or reduce the amount of rowphse and move it to passive location so less flow go through it to reduce the po4 removing action a bit..
Something to think about..

Good suggestion. Thanks. Pulling Rowaphos out for time being.

Since people don't read every tank journal out there, I know I don't at least :) Just wanted to add this here, as I did the icp-analyst.com one which was $29.95 out the door, free shipping and return.

Just wanted to add this here

Thanks for sharing the results! I am supposed to receive my first ICP kit this afternoon in the mail. Went with Triton because I had seen so many people share their results here and figured I would like to try it as well.

Back