Cali Kid Corals

25 psi… what are my options?

B the Nano Reefer

Supporting Member
So my RO/DI is telling me that I’m getting 25 psi from my water source (shower)… I think optimal RO/DI pressure is 60 psi… what are my options to get it into the 60 range?

Booster pump. You can buy from BRS, or from Amazon. Same things. There's only a few connections to it, but it is semi-complicated IMO to figure out where the various relay switches go when you're setting it up.

Booster pump. You can buy from BRS, or from Amazon. Same things. There's only a few connections to it, but it is semi-complicated IMO to figure out where the various relay switches go when you're setting it up.
The complexity is my concern … anyone have experience with one of these? RO/DI Buddy

Is it worth the hassle for top offs on a 10 gallon w/ infrequent water changes, or do I just go back to lugging home 5 gallons on water at a time from an LFS…

Here's the one I bought:

Geekpure Reverse Osmosis Booster Pump Kit with Transformer + High and Low Pressure Switches + Fittings for 50-150 GPD RO System https://a.co/d/3Phpi3a

It's not actually that complicated, it just requires watching a bunch of YouTube videos and searching online to figure out what goes where. It's complicated, but bang your head against a wall for an hour or two complicated, not impossible.

That ro buddy looks great though. Twice the cost, but looks way better and looks brain dead simple to setup. The fact that it automatically flushes the membrane seems super cool.

Edit: now I've got regrets that I don't have the buddy. If you want my booster lmk ;)

Appreciate the input. As I suspected, sounds like it’s the RO buddy or go back to LFS for RO/DI
Justify the buddy to yourself by thinking about all the water you're no longer going to waste. Saves dollars over time (though no idea if it recovers cost), saves time, and helps slightly reduce the ecological toll we all cause with this hobby (less wasted water).

Justify the buddy to yourself by thinking about all the water you're no longer going to waste. Saves dollars over time (though no idea if it recovers cost), saves time, and helps slightly reduce the ecological toll we all cause with this hobby (less wasted water).
With my current 10 gallon tank, I’ve reduced water changes to once every few months. For top off, I will probably use 5ish gallons a month. As much as it pains me not to use my RO/DI, I think it makes sense just to go to a LFS for water. I’m not far at all from Cali Kid. Finding a spot for the RO Buddy would be challenging since I don’t have a fixed spot for my RO/DI and connect/disconnect from my shower when I need it and store it away between uses

With my current 10 gallon tank, I’ve reduced water changes to once every few months. For top off, I will probably use 5ish gallons a month. As much as it pains me not to use my RO/DI, I think it makes sense just to go to a LFS for water. I’m not far at all from Cali Kid. Finding a spot for the RO Buddy would be challenging since I don’t have a fixed spot for my RO/DI and connect/disconnect from my shower when I need it and store it away between uses
Honestly, with that volume if you already have the unit I'd just keep using it. It's going to waste more water, but as long as it works, the total volume isn't that crazy to lose.

Alternatively just disconnect your RO step and plumb directly into a DI stage. You'd presumably burn through resin fast, but you can buy a cheap tds meter and see how long it takes to have burnt through it all.

Just as easy though is buy distilled water from the grocery store. No need to drive to a LFS for $5 of water.

How long is the length of ro tubing going from source to the unit? I noticed with longer lengths pressure drops.
Interesting. Probably 10-15 feet. Much longer than it needs to be. I could make do with 2-3 feet. Never thought about shortening it though since I’ve not had this water pressure issue in the past. Might try to shorten it and see what happens though I’m confident that my issue is just shitting water pressure from the source

@B the Nano Reefer -where are you getting your water from? Do you know your TDS?

From EBMUD-tds used to be 27-35 when we made water back 2017-2019 (now buy after downsize) .
I would make on average 40 gallons a month.
Because of the RO waste -we just used a 3 stage with a sediment filter and two carbon blocks and then a two stage with DI. Big bag from BRS would last us almost a year.

Not sure how much you are making

I only plan to make about 10 gallons, if that, a month. Forgot to check TDS when I hooked up the unit last night, but I’m in Walnut Creek. Not sure how “clean” the water is here.

I have a fully outfitted SpectraPure RO/DI unit. I run 1 micron sediment, 1 micron carbon and mixed DI. Filters/resin, etc. are not a concern and I was getting 0 TDS water for the past 2 years at my old spot. The pressure at my new spot is just crappy

On one hand -if you have the set up already- great. But not sure if it’s worth paying for a booster if the local water supply has a low TDS and then get a garden hose to hook it up and bypass the RODI part? Just an idea.

Annoying on water pressure for sure.

We use a booster pump hooked to an old remote control electrical switch from Radio Shack. Hit the button when I make water, turn it off when it's done. That RO buddie looks pretty slick though, no exposed pump/wiring. Looks like it's not for use for things with dual RO membranes.

We use a booster pump hooked to an old remote control electrical switch from Radio Shack. Hit the button when I make water, turn it off when it's done. That RO buddie looks pretty slick though, no exposed pump/wiring. Looks like it's not for use for things with dual RO membranes.
Radio shack......nuff said

The complexity is my concern … anyone have experience with one of these? RO/DI Buddy

Is it worth the hassle for top offs on a 10 gallon w/ infrequent water changes, or do I just go back to lugging home 5 gallons on water at a time from an LFS…
I have exactly this. Gives me 90 PSI. My 15-year-old did the installation, looked too complicated to me :). Huge improvement though and I had this for a 26-gallon. You are welcome to come by and see how he did it. I am in DC this week but back on Friday.

I have exactly this. Gives me 90 PSI. My 15-year-old did the installation, looked too complicated to me :). Huge improvement though and I had this for a 26-gallon. You are welcome to come by and see how he did it. I am in DC this week but back on Friday.
Thanks. Watched a couple videos, and looks pretty straight forward. It’s less about the installation at this point and more a factor of my RO/DI not being fixed in one spot. I store it under the sink, then pull it out to connect the shower, make water then put it away. Having to juggle a second apparatus just doesn’t sound appealing but looks like it might be the only option if I want to make my own water lol

Back