Cali Kid Corals

56G Tank

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
March 28,2024 I bought a Red Sea reefer 250 tank from a member on BAR. Process was long that day. Didn’t expect a tank this size to be so much work. Borker helped me break down the tank. All the live stock and rocks went into the orange buckets as for water I saved about 40g of it.

Specs and equipment:
* Red Sea Reefer 250
* 2 Red Sea LED 50S
* 1 MP10
* Red Sea Gyre (ReefWave)
* Vortech S2 Return
* Quantum Nyos Skimmer
* Apex Neptune with PM2 Controller
* Tunze ATO
* 2 Bags of Sera Siporax
* 40-50# (Approx) of Live Rock
* flipper Magnet Cleaner
* 150 GPD RODI that's a couple months old

LIVESTOCK
* 2 clowns
* 1 Blue Tang
* Large Number of RBTAs
* Snowflake Blenny
* Cleaner Shrimp
* Melanurus Wrasse
* Lots of hermit crabs
* crabs and various other livestock
* trochus snail
*Pitho crab

CORAL
* 2 torch head
* Ultra Aussie Trachophyllia
* Blood Shot Favia
* Orange / Green Lobophyllia (receding a bit)
* 1 massive Green Toadstool
* 2-3 green mushrooms
* A large frogspawn (7-8 heads)

FEEDING REGIMEN:
* 2x daily TDO Chromaboost
* R.O.E

Attachments

• IMG_7409.jpeg
    IMG_7409.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7420.jpeg
    IMG_7420.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7418.jpeg
    IMG_7418.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7417.jpeg
    IMG_7417.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7416.jpeg
    IMG_7416.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7412.jpeg
    IMG_7412.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7410.jpeg
    IMG_7410.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 55
Made it home with the tank loaded everything off the U-Haul van with a buddy. The cleaning process began, I started scraping off all the algae from the glass. The tank seemed to have been neglected for some time. Which is understandable considering the previous owner had other responsibilities. I was still up for the job and cleaned everything the best I could to make the tank look new again

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7427.jpeg
    IMG_7427.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 46
Beginning to put water in the tank if I remember correctly I used about 60% of the water I saved and 40g of new saltwater. Setting up all the equipment was a hassle considering I didn’t know anything about how all this high end stuff works, it’s very advanced to me considering I’m used to tanks like AIO setups. Thanks to @Apon and @Turkeysammich coming by the house they walked me through it and helped me and gave me lots of knowledge on how all these things worked super grateful to have other friendly reefers lend a hand.

Attachments

• IMG_7441.jpeg
    IMG_7441.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7440.jpeg
    IMG_7440.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7444.jpeg
    IMG_7444.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I had all the live stock put into a 40g breeder. Once the tank was ready and up and running with water I started adding live stock little by little sculpting the rocks how I like although it’s a little challenging with the anemones on the rocks it limits me on placement. I ended up sculpting it with an arch lights where running tank was flowing. All was good!

Attachments

• IMG_7401.jpeg
    IMG_7401.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7480.jpeg
    IMG_7480.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7482.jpeg
    IMG_7482.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7483.jpeg
    IMG_7483.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 43
Tank was running well. I started buying coral stocking up on frags. I borrowed the par meter from the club got my par reading with all the lights set to 100% as someone else recommended to do to get an accurate reading of how strong the lights are at full power

Attachments

• IMG_7827.jpeg
    IMG_7827.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7513.jpeg
    IMG_7513.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 45
May 2nd I bought a lemonpeel from Aquatic Collection. I didn’t know they weren’t reef safe but hey here we are so far doing good. Nips here and there at corals but noticed it’s mainly my acans and zoas. Hasn’t touch the hammers or torches. Fish caught my attention due to its color and blue ring around its eyes

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 42
A few weeks ago i ended up buying a foxface a malanarus wrasse and a CCB from Violet Aquarium which ended up dying due to starvation. Eventually the fox and wrasse will outgrow the tank and I’ll have to give them another home.

Attachments

• IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8322.png
    IMG_8322.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 44
Stop adding livestock
Let the tank settle in and begin to grow
Save your money
Spend time
Patience is your friend
Don’t add any fish or corals until October
Maintenance maintenance maintenance

In return of my CBB dying, violet Aquarium ended up giving me my money back as credit for the CBB. @Invictus was nice enough to help me out and meet me at Violet Aquarium he helped me picked out two corals and a diamond Gobi for my 8 gallon tank. I ended up getting a pink Goni and a bleached torch.

Attachments

• IMG_8164.jpeg
    IMG_8164.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8165.jpeg
    IMG_8165.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 43
Tank recently had cyano on the back of the rocks I’m not sure if maybe I’m not getting enough flow back there but since then I added chemiclean powder. I started using it on the 11th Saturday. Gave it 48 hours to cycling the tank. Before doing this, I vacuumed out the cyano. Gave it another dose just yesterday waiting to do a big water change in the next day or so. Recently bought 14 Turbo snails to clean up the tank because I’ve been getting a lot of brown algae buildup on the glass. Almost every two days I was cleaning the glass with scraper.

Attachments

• IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8163.jpeg
    IMG_8163.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 49
Did a big water change after using the chemi clean. Made space for a regugium down in the sump. added chateo and the springs burning bush that I got from our fellow members. Using a Neptune refugium light hooked it up to the apex. Have it running when the display tank is off. Missing the goose neck so for now I have it on its side.

Attachments

• IMG_8388.jpeg
    IMG_8388.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
Did a big water change after using the chemi clean. Made space for a regugium down in the sump. added chateo and the springs burning bush that I got from our fellow members. Using a Neptune refugium light hooked it up to the apex. Have it running when the display tank is off. Missing the goose neck so for now I have it on its side.
My recommendation is to go easy on the refugium with a new tank. It can take out a lot of nutrients (and traces) in the beginning that you will regret later. I am currently dealing with the fallout from a too-strong refugium on a new tank. Limit light in refugium to 6 hours or less at night, and watch the nutrients. Ideally ICP too, but you might not want to do this.

Oh, and I echo the no-chemical sentiment above. Try not to use any of this stuff. I have heavy cyano right now and would still not chemiclean.

My recommendation is to go easy on the refugium with a new tank. It can take out a lot of nutrients (and traces) in the beginning that you will regret later. I am currently dealing with the fallout from a too-strong refugium on a new tank. Limit light in refugium to 6 hours or less at night, and watch the nutrients. Ideally ICP too, but you might not want to do this.

Oh, and I echo the no-chemical sentiment above. Try not to use any of this stuff. I have heavy cyano right now and would still not chemiclean.
Agree with this too.

Rarely do @Alexander1312 and I agree but that’s twice in one day today! :D

Got it I didn’t know a refugien can mess up the whole tank.

Back