Our mission

56G Tank

My recommendation is to go easy on the refugium with a new tank. It can take out a lot of nutrients (and traces) in the beginning that you will regret later. I am currently dealing with the fallout from a too-strong refugium on a new tank. Limit light in refugium to 6 hours or less at night, and watch the nutrients. Ideally ICP too, but you might not want to do this.

Oh, and I echo the no-chemical sentiment above. Try not to use any of this stuff. I have heavy cyano right now and would still not chemiclean.
So do you just let the cyano be? I’ll check my water later on today and see how my parameters are doing now that the refugium was started

So do you just let the cyano be? I’ll check my water later on today and see how my parameters are doing now that the refugium was started

Well my case is different since the cyano is helping with dino issues to some extent. I will try everything else before going with Chemiclean, which I will not use regardless, unless as a very last resort.

My approach right now is to get nitrates and phosphates in a 100:1 ratio, and see what will happen (many do not believe this will matter).

Also, continuously improving flow is another activity, and lastly getting trace elements in order which I know are most likely not since I switched to balling light a few weeks ago, which requires some time to adjust.

My other tank never had cyano since I started this approx two years ago, and I believe stronger flow, lower nitrates, and in balance traces were the reason, which is all not optimized in the larger tank.

could this be the start of some coralline algae or is this something else? This power head was clean when I first put it in and has just been covered in brown algae for the longest. I just happened to glance at the tank and noticed the power head with purple spots. Seems like the only thing in the tank with the purple spots.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 53
As it starts to build up you can try scraping it off and hopefully it will spread and attach to other parts of the tank and rock.

Yesterday I got home from work and noticed sand falling through the front seal. I’ve never seen it like this bad and I didn’t assume anything of it when I did notice in the beginning a few weeks ago small particles of sand going through. I started thinking the worst and feared at any second the pane was ready to burst. It was so easy to push on the seal and make the sand move that’s how bad it seeped through the seal

Attachments

• IMG_9026.jpeg
    IMG_9026.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 62
I immediately called up @Turkeysammich for advice on how to get this process going thanks to him he walked me through the process. I had a storage container laying around the house, but I also had a 40g breaded downstairs with water that was never drained. My fear was leaving the apartment and going downstairs to drain the 40g to bring up and use that to keep the livestock going. So I drained water in the storage container and put the rocks in there until I can get the water level as low as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9032.jpeg
    IMG_9032.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9030.jpeg
    IMG_9030.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51
Immediately started draining the 40g breeder, cleaned it out with hose water and paper towels brought it upstairs and began the process of transferring everything from the storage container to this 40g breeder. I emptied the last of the water from the 56g and I simply kept the wires connected I put the mp10 in and a plug in heater and got everything up and running through the night.

Attachments

• IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9042.jpeg
    IMG_9042.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9041.jpeg
    IMG_9041.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9039.jpeg
    IMG_9039.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 42
This morning I added the lights to the 40g breeder and everything was looking happy and healthy still, I gotta say this has to be the scariest feeling considering seeing all these videos that people come home to a blown tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.jpeg
    IMG_9046.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9047.jpeg
    IMG_9047.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9048.jpeg
    IMG_9048.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9049.jpeg
    IMG_9049.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 45
This is where experience comes in with knowing what to do when to act. if you weren’t a bar member or active on the boards I wouldn’t know you. Thus I couldn’t give you advice. Bar membership pays 100 fold. Today. That aquarium would have burst guaranteed. Even though it sucks that the aquarium is bad and you have to get a new one. At least you dodged a horrific accident.
I’m glad I was there to help. Keep asking questions.

Make sure your renter’s insurance is paid and active
I hope you never need it
Repair won’t be cheap
And hope your landlord doesn’t evict you

Fortunately you caught it in time and you have support for assistance
We are worth your membership dues!

And this is why I always recommend buying a new aquarium
One with full warranty!

My fear on old glass tanks.....mine is acrylic. Glad it didn't burst on you. Will redsea sell you a discounted replacement tank? Since you have sump and stand still.

This is where experience comes in with knowing what to do when to act. if you weren’t a bar member or active on the boards I wouldn’t know you. Thus I couldn’t give you advice. Bar membership pays 100 fold. Today. That aquarium would have burst guaranteed. Even though it sucks that the aquarium is bad and you have to get a new one. At least you dodged a horrific accident.
I’m glad I was there to help. Keep asking questions.
Really appreciate you guiding me through this nightmare!!

Back