Our mission

65 gallon tank

Mine has a gate valve on it. I just turned it a little in the morning and would check it out at night. Kept doing that until I got it to where I wanted it. Took a few days. Any adjustment will take a good while to show, so don’t just move the knob and expect to see the change immediately.
Lol thanks for Pointing that out, i was expecting to be good for a week.

So calibrated my hanna check it was definitely off, i must have screwed up at some point with big fingers and calibrated it instead of checking the salinity. All my tanks were at 0.21-0.22, took water out and got them back to .025.

I was about to test other parameters but checked the salinity first so I'll wait until tomorrow to check everything else out when things level out.

Tested today,

10/13/24

Alk 6.8
P04 hanna ULR 0.01
Calc hanna 555
Magnesium salifert 1395

After getting salinity back to 0.25 yesterday for the first time since putting them in hammers are puffy not to the point of my main tank but they are looking alot better just over night.

1.) My top concern is the p04 i even used the ULR one which i haven't been able to use in almost a year. It's showing 0.01 barely above 0. I immediately added reef roids on top of feeding much heavier than I have before. Really feeling like i'm at major risk of bottoming out.

2.) Not a concern but i plan to do adjustment esv dose to raise alk slightly to 7.5-8.

*** I had stopped adding the roids last week when i began feeding heavier so I will go back to a brodcast feeding of the roids every other day l, I'd rather be slightly elevated with p04 than risking getting dinos.

Last edited:
Tested today,

10/13/24

Alk 6.8
P04 hanna ULR 0.01
Calc hanna 555
Magnesium salifert 1395

After getting salinity back to 0.25 yesterday for the first time since putting them in hammers are puffy not to the point of my main tank but they are looking alot better just over night.

1.) My top concern is the p04 i even used the ULR one which i haven't been able to use in almost a year. It's showing 0.01 barely above 0. I immediately added reef roids on top of feeding much heavier than I have before. Really feeling like i'm at major risk of bottoming out.

2.) Not a concern but i plan to do adjustment esv dose to raise alk slightly to 7.5-8.

*** I had stopped adding the roids last week when i began feeding heavier so I will go back to a brodcast feeding of the roids every other day l, I'd rather be slightly elevated with p04 than risking getting dinos.
Do you have a nitrate tester? I was curious if those numbers were flipped.

Tested today,

10/13/24

Alk 6.8
P04 hanna ULR 0.01
Calc hanna 555
Magnesium salifert 1395

Feeding reef roids every other day is a lot. I would suggest 2x per week and reevaluate in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’re definitely skimming too wet. You can adjust it using this
Whats the water depth where the skimmer is sitting? Recommended depth is 9.5 to 11 inches but my sweet spot was around 6 to 7 inches using egg crate stand worked alot better! Don’t have one of those skimmers anymore but think you definitely need to add air adjustment valve.. I don’t understand skimmers without any air intake adjustment!!. You can dial them in so easily with one! Anyhow needed a larger skimmer temporarily on an project tank and found an older reef Octo in the garage without air adjustment so grabbed a simple push connect valve and squeezed it on!! Easy fix.. You can add it below the muffler also no difference..
IMG_7207.jpeg

Whats the water depth where the skimmer is sitting? Recommended depth is 9.5 to 11 inches but my sweet spot was around 6 to 7 inches using egg crate stand worked alot better! Don’t have one of those skimmers anymore but think you definitely need to add air adjustment valve.. I don’t understand skimmers without any air intake adjustment!!. You can dial them in so easily with one! Anyhow needed a larger skimmer temporarily on an project tank and found an older reef Octo in the garage without air adjustment so grabbed a simple push connect valve and squeezed it on!! Easy fix.. You can add it below the muffler also no difference..
View attachment 61617
I'll measure it later today, but i'm estimating it’s around 7inches or so. 15 gallon sump, and waters barely over half way to prevent overflow when power is off.

Back