Cali Kid Corals

7/19 Behind the Scenes Steinhart Aquarium Tour!

Will you attend?

• Total voters
1000004294.jpg
1000004295.jpg
1000004296.jpg
1000004297.jpg
1000004299.jpg
1000004300.jpg

Great seeing everyone! The club donated $130 from the general fund to help cover some of the costs of having us come by as well. Thanks again to Charles and Julian for showing us all the amazing tanks.

No pictures were allowed but we were able to see their sunflower star breeding project and the thousands of babies, which was super cool.

Did not get to see the coral spawning room because they're light sensitive and they're running reverse photoperiod

No pictures were allowed but we were able to see their sunflower star breeding project and the thousands of babies, which was super cool.

Did not get to see the coral spawning room because they're light sensitive and they're running reverse photoperiod
There's a few videos out there:

Thanks @Darkxerox for organizing. I had a great time and got my book signed by Charles!

Some aspects of their husbandry that haven't been shared yet (the big reef):

• Alk: 10ish
  • NO3: 30ish
  • PO4: 0.4ish
  • No UV, but they do use a tiny amount of Ozone just for water clarity
  • No Carbon
  • No GFO (they used to use it, but the reactor broke and it was a PITA so now they use lanthanum dosed in front of the filter)
  • They do some very specific trace dosing, both mixed into their salt as well as some mixtures dosed directly by hand each day
  • PAR is 300-400 at the very top, 50-100 at the very bottom
  • Water changes (I don't recall the amount/frequency - maybe someone else got that note?)
They clean the glass once, sometimes twice daily.

No aiptasia (in the big reef) - the fish keep it down naturally.

They do occasionally struggle with cyano and have a bunch of palys taking over the bottom of the tank that they have started to manually remove.

Charles feels that the reef actually does best when PO4 is fairly high relative to NO3 (opposite the common "red field" ratio dogma) which I thought was interesting. Most of their tanks are pretty high in po4 (0.4-3.0).

Another theme is pretty heavy feeding - most of the tanks are on auto feeders, and they do a lot of target feeding - sometimes several times a day for NPS and more difficult critters. Lots and lots of food being cultured and fed.

They are experimenting with big kessil LEDs - and have a few installed in various locations. The 1000W halide bulbs are getting harder to find and it sounds like they plan to slowly convert everything to LED.

The peppermint angels were actually spawning too, and they had larva making it to the 40+ days point and felt optimistic they'd eventually breed fry. Heartbreaking they lost the mate :(

No interesting pics to share beyond what was shared already, but I did snap a quick one of the new peacock mantis that was pretty active:
IMG_2425.jpg

Had a great time BSing with @Raj Gill and @jonmedina too, nice meeting you guys!

Last edited:
The thing that seems to be effective is the lanthanum in front of the sand filters as you mentioned. They back flush those via water changes which pulls it all out.

More info on the systems in one of High Tide's talks last year:

Calcium they keep at 420-440 ppm, mag at 1250 ppm, plus higher alk to balance out the higher waste products. They use a similar paste treatment to the SCTLD treatments in the Caribbean.

Back