High Tide Aquatics

9/18/22 (Sun) Open Regional Frag Swap at Cali Kid Corals in Concord

JVU

President
BOD
We are going to have our first open/regional swap (where both BAR members and nonmembers are welcome) since 2019! For those of you newer to BAR, we used to do one of these every year and they can be a fun way to meet new people and share the magic of the frag swap with the larger reefing community. They are also a good way to spread the word about the club. We are excited to be able to start doing them again!

We are trying something a little different this time. The swap will be a partnership between BAR and Cali Kid, we will run the swap part and they will run everything else, including some pretty amazing stuff they have planned. Usually our open swaps have an entry cost, but Cali Kid is covering the costs and wants the event to be FREE for everyone. They are also going to be providing everyone lunch- planning Tri-tip with veggie options! Plus they want it to be family friendly so they have plans for face painting and an ice cream truck! Raising the bar for BAR.

Date:
September 18, 2022
Time: 11:00pm to 3:00pm.

Requirements
1. Bring a minimum of 3 separate coral frags, none from the "banned" list, and properly contained (see below).
2. Check in before 12pm, if you come after we will check you in but may have lost a picking round, and it makes it more hectic for us.

Schedule
10:30am-11:30am Setup
11:00am-12:00pm Registration and running corals to tables
12:00pm-3:00pm Coral swapping, lunch, face painting!
Cleanup to follow.

Volunteers are needed! Please sign up here.
Raffle Prizes details are being finalized but there are some pretty amazing prizes already in the line up!

Prize (Retail price)
Waterbox 60.2 with Aquascape ($2,300)
Waterbox cube 25 ($350)
Kessil Ap9x light ($869)
CaliKids gift card ($500(
Aquascape ($200)
Simplicity 120DC skimmer ($249)
Simplicity 1600 DC pump ($179)
Sicce Xstream DC powerhead ($229)
Clownfish pair ($299)
Coral mystery box ($1000)
Gem tang ($599)

5416 Ygnacio Valley Rd Ste 50, Concord, CA 94521

There is plenty of parking in the shopping center. Cali Kid Corals will be open to shop for the event that day, with discounts!

How the swap works
For those who have swapped before, it is largely unchanged. Basically everyone gets a picking letter when they check in, and each picking letter group gets a turn to pick a coral (one group at a time), going back and forth along the alphabet until the corals are gone. Bonus/ultra coral and rounds are fun but harder to have with larger group of folks unfamiliar with the process, so we are planning to just have regular rounds this time.

This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed):

Valid frags
  • 3 frags is the minimum. There is no maximum number so feel free to bring a bunch if you want to.
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type) and your username (or real name for nonmembers). The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.
  • These corals are not eligible for swapping, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary, but use the general rule of what size of frag you would be happy to get.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets.
  • Sponges and macroalgae don’t count as frags, but can be brought for the freebie table.
If you don’t have 3 qualifying frags to share, oftentimes there are members with extra coral to share with other members who can give you some, just please arrange who you’ll be getting it from ahead of time. Also, Cali Kid is planning on selling frag packs of reasonably priced sets of 3 frags you can use to make it easy.

Any other questions? Ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volunteer sign up thread here:

1662164819280.jpeg

I just realized that I gave away all of my sizable frags for free, leaving me with none to swap. Anyone have $5-10 decent frags that I could swap with? I can meet at CFM or at the swap.

I just realized that I gave away all of my sizable frags for free, leaving me with none to swap. Anyone have $5-10 decent frags that I could swap with? I can meet at CFM or at
I just realized that I gave away all of my sizable frags for free, leaving me with none to swap. Anyone have $5-10 decent frags that I could swap with? I can meet at CFM or at the swap.
I can hook you up. Will be at the swap around 11:30

I just got back into the hobby and just starting to stock my tank. Looking forward to my first BAR event and I’ll also be meeting up with someone to pick up some frags but if anyone has some hammer frags (1 or 2 heads) they don’t mind giving away, let me know!

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Back