Kessil

Addressing bacterial infections in corals (protocol included)

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
Rich Ross @Thales was kind enough to share his experience/protocol with using Oxolinic Acid and I wrote up some extra information regarding safety/disposal/background for those that are interested here:

Important notes: Oxolinic acid is commonly used in fish aquaculture so it isn't a medically important drug for human use and doesn't require a prescription to obtain online.

Thanks for the info! I bought some after hearing on YouTube Chummingham's Reef use it, but he never dived into details of a treatment protocol. I wanted to experiment using it on bleached OG and JB shrooms.

Thanks for the info! I bought some after hearing on YouTube Chummingham's Reef use it, but he never dived into details of a treatment protocol. I wanted to experiment using it on bleached OG and JB shrooms.
I don't think it will have an effect on bleached corals, bleaching is not an infection. What am I missing?

I don't think it will have an effect on bleached corals, bleaching is not an infection. What am I missing?
From what I've read online, reefers think the bleaching in OG and JB shrooms are due to a bacteria infection. Lots of people have tried low par, low flow, high nutrient/low nutrient, cipro, erythromycin, KFC dip and etc. with low survival rates. Have you ever experienced this?
IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

From what I've read online, reefers think the bleaching in OG and JB shrooms are due to a bacteria infection. Lots of people have tried low par, low flow, high nutrient/low nutrient, cipro, erythromycin, KFC dip and etc. with low survival rates. Have you ever experienced this?
View attachment 57740

View attachment 57741
Just give it a fun name and sell it for twice as much. “Shave ice bounce”?

View attachment 57740

View attachment 57741
Got any links that I can see what people are talking about and what they have been doing?
If it is really bleaching, it can take months to recover, and additional 'action' can be detrimental. Also, I keep hearing folks say that the bounce is generated by over lighting or UV'ing the mushrooms, which if true is likely to cause problems.
If people have tried the more powerful anti biotics and not had success, I have strong doubts that OA will do anything, and doubt that it is a bacterial issue.

Back