Cali Kid Corals

Alex’s IM 150 EXT

Closing the loop here on my Milwaukee refractometer salinitiy vs. Fauna Marin ICP salinity discrepancy. I had to get to the bottom of this since I did not understand enough what I should be doing next.

I have also had an exchange with Chris Woods from Captiv8, who calculated the salinity value to be even lower than what Fauna Marin calculated (great guy by the way, super helpful also on my other ICP results).

Not sure if anybody cares about this but this is what I learned:

- PPT and PSU values should be identical and not differ as they do when I measure it with my device.
- These devices have a +/- 2 accepted inaccuracy, which is a lot in my opinion.
- My PSU readings seem to be aligned with the ICP results so I will be using the PSU values going forward.
- The device uses algorithms to calculate PPT/PSU/S.G. PPT is considered an ‘older' way to measure salinity, vs. PSU to be a more widely accepted parameter.

I have had a couple of back and forth with Randy Holmes-Farley on the above, if someone cares about some more details: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/salinity-psu-vs-ppt.1032213/#post-12149049

I have raised or are in the process of raising salinity now in both my nano and IM 150 to a 35 PSU, and will run another ICP in 30-45 days from now. For now, I consider this issue resolved :).

Last edited:
I have now a number of corals and inverts in my nano tank to move to this tank but will wait for 6 weeks ‘quarantine’ to pass before doing so.

I will not add any more corals or inverts during this time and will plan out and align future purchases so that I have space again in the nano tank for another 6 week quarantine phase.

This could be potentially difficult with frag swaps etc, but will so how this goes. Two tanks are definitely my limit, but maybe I will swap the nano for a proper coral frag tank, low boy type setup in the future.

In the meantime, I have taken some pictures to document how the tank develops with the continous add-ons and adjustments.

IMG_6406.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg
IMG_6394.jpeg
IMG_6393.jpeg
IMG_6392.jpeg
IMG_6391.jpeg
IMG_6390.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg

Received the Aquabiomic test results today, submitted end of December. The complaints around not receiving the results in a reasonable amount of time (as compared to ICP) are therefore truly valid. And might make the entire exercise potentially irrelevant.

At the time I submitted the test, the tank was exactly 30 days old.

The results were interesting and positively confirmed what I had hoped, but also revealed some potential issues.

The positives were around the diversity and balance score, and I did not expect them to be that high at the 90th percentile, not bad for a brand new tank. I know this can change over time resulting in lower values, but it confirmed my observation that the tank seemed very well running, no ugly phase, gonies and other corals do instantly well when added, and really no problems other than some of the actions needed from the ICP.

IMG_1380.jpeg
IMG_1381.jpeg
IMG_1382.jpeg
IMG_1383.jpeg

It also confirmed that my approach when starting the tank by adding a blend of real ocean live rock, dry rock, rock from my previous tank, aquabiomics sand, cycling with large species of toadstools and other easy corals, and the various stuff I bought from Indo Pacific Farms based in Hawaii certainly all led to good initially scores.

What will this mean long-term? No clue. But I liked that it might confirm a good start into this tank journey.

Now the bad news is that it did identify some pathogens. Not a surprise it would, and I knew there is no recipe provided to address them properly. One of the pathogens however seems to stand out as it was not typically found in tanks in their population.

IMG_1384.jpeg

In summary, interesting insight to have in the beginning, but it will probably not make the tank more successful, and therefore potentially not a meaningful investment if the tank does not have any issues.

Still, I am planning to repeat this test in 6-12 months from now :).

Attachments

• document.pdf
    260.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Good choice! Mine was shy and would stress easily for quite a long time. Now he’s really confident and outgoing and has a lot of personality. Blows bubbles and grunts at the surface of the water when he’s hungry or bored.

Good choice! Mine was shy and would stress easily for quite a long time. Now he’s really confident and outgoing and has a lot of personality. Blows bubbles and grunts at the surface of the water when he’s hungry or bored.
Wow, that’s a high bar. Did not know they could be that entertaining.

Not sure if anyone is using the Fauna Marin ICP tests, but I will for now. I had asked them where I can buy these locally and Claude Schumacher responded, and also shared the link below. The nice thing is that a discount is offered for purchasing three (or six depending on the type of test), which I did not see e.g. on Saltwateraquarium.com.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpeg
    IMG_1404.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 23
Which icp test do you get ? The regular burrito or super burrito ? And is it worth the extra money for the super ?
Super burrito, I bought two of the total ICP. They also measured the RODI water. The results I posted here (see below) was from one of the ICP Total. The difference is also more parameters and ratios. Not sure if this needs to be done often.

Post in thread 'Alex’s IM 150 EXT'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/alex’s-im-150-ext.34668/post-498223

Nitrate continues to fall despite twice a day TDO and frozen food feeding. Phosphates remain stuck at a too low 0.04, which could be a reading error and be lower. I am also certain that I have Dinos now in some spots. Have not checked yet with the microscope though. The good news is that I have dealt with Dinos extensively (!) in the nano tank without UV or blackout, and was able to to beat it twice, and it has never come back since. So I assume I know what to do, and will do the following:

1. Additional feeding schedule.
2. Reduced refugium lighting from 12 hours on to 10 hours on.
3. No water change until parameters are back to a normal level.
4. Do not replace filter floss or reef diapers until parameters are at a normal level.

The no-water change approach has been the most effective method and it should be gone in 3-4 weeks or so if all goes well.

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

Last edited:
Feeding reef roids will increase phosphates if you aren’t using it yet.
For fish suggestions, your scape looks prime for something like a mandarin, Yasha goby, pygmy hawkfish, etc who like to stay on the sandbed. I do see you have the one goby but another similar fish would be cool.

Back