Kessil

All new equipment, or a used hot mess?

swk

Hi everyone. Don't know if this is the proper spot for this kind of question, so mods feel free to move if needed.

I could use some advice from some more seasoned reefers. My plan was for a 40B with 20 gal sump build from scratch with DIY drill and sump stand etc. I've come across a used setup thats currently running but looks a bit rough. It's a 40B acrylic (which is a plus IMO) with 20 gal sump, stand, sand, live rock, lights (although I would replace as I'd like to do some sps) and 2 (?) protein skimmers. I have to imagine that these are kinda weak skimmers?

The guy said the heater died during the cold snap and the tank crashed. He's got it running and some stuff has survived. It just seems like he's over it, so I imagine there's been some neglect.

Anyway, the "turnkey" system is asking 200. I mean it comes with everything down to the brute trash can and mixing pump. Sounds like a good deal, but is it even if I have to replace the skimmer and lights? I haven't seen in person but I will tomorrow night. I have some pics on my phone that I can forward.

Just looking for some guidance. If you feel like being helpful, email me at swkehoe@gmail.com and I will forward all the pics I have. Thanks in advance!

Sounds 'meh' to me. Post a link or some more details. Used acrylic tanks are usually pretty beat up...Unless they're from me ;) LOL

Definitely avoid IMO. A tank move is not as easy as emptying and re-filling at the new location. Both skimmers are sort of garbage and it's definitely not a turnkey system. If purchased, assume that you will lose a majority of the livestock and it's a complete 'start over' for the tank. Cleaning alone so you can even think about starting over will be a pain in the rear.

Probably harsh but I shoot from the hip ;)

Definitely avoid IMO. A tank move is not as easy as emptying and re-filling at the new location. Both skimmers are sort of garbage and it's definitely not a turnkey system. If purchased, assume that you will lose a majority of the livestock and it's a complete 'start over' for the tank. Cleaning alone so you can even think about starting over will be a pain in the rear.

Probably harsh but I shoot from the hip ;)
That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thank you!

If you're the 'sort of DIYer' and you're not looking to buy the ADA 90p (which is a nice tank IMO but you can upgrade later):

DIY/purchase stand
40B on top
20L on bottom
Drill both tanks and plumb with PVC.
Reef Octopus type skimmer... RS80? Coral Reefer has a few skimmers laying around and I'm sure he can set you up with a decent enough one.

Shallow sand bed with maybe one 5g bucket full of rock for the display..or less. I'm having trouble visualizing rock in buckets. Grow chaeto in your 20L with an LED bulb from home depot. Decent salt mix - I prefer Aquavitro but there are few good options.

Use an Eheim 1250 for your return. Add a vortech in the main display or there are some cheaper options.

EboJager for your heater(s). Probably 1x100w and 1x75w or something like that. I'd recommend brand new heaters or a reliable source.

Lights...This is your call and will depend on your budget. If you can or want to do a DIY LED unit, it's not too hard but it is hard to make it look nice. You have to pay to play but I'd recommend Kessils, AI's or the 27" maxspect.

Without lights, you're probably at about $350 assuming you can find a decent used skimmer/powerhead/return.

You can buy used but be careful with what you buy. BAR, you're pretty safe. ReefCentral..You're probably safe. Craigslist...Anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll probably pass. I have jäger heaters and a mp40 vortex lying around. With the 1 buck per gallon sale at petco I can get both tanks for 60. I have a few 1" bulkheads lying around. Only things I would really need to purchase are skimmer, lights (led or t5) haven't decided, return pump and rocks. I'll just pass I suppose and take my time. I'm not in any rush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swk, where do you live? The $200 tank is less than a mile from my house! The tank could be awful or a diamond in the rough. From the pics (wonder why anyone would post such horrible pics) it is most likely more trouble than it's worth.

The other tank (ADA) is nice - assuming the tank has no damage. ADA is considered a high quality tank.

Thing about used equipment you have to judge what you want out of the system vs. what you get. You said you want a 40g breeder with a 20g sump. Well if you can hit up PetCo's $1/gallon sales, that's about $60 for glass. Now you say the acrylic is nicer to you so ok that's a premium. Looking at the pictures in the Craigslist ad, is there anything there that you think is worth an extra $140 or so?

For me, I see junk. A low-end LED fixture which by itself if that's what you wanted would make this work, however only half the LEDs work as per the description, so I'd call that junk. What looks to be some cruddy skimmers with a yogurt cup as a collection cup or something? Looks to be some branching frogspawn or something that's still alive, but is that a coral you really want? And one that's survived a tank crash? Who knows how much of it is healthy.

Overall, it's someone who wants to get out, and I think there's a bit too much emotional baggage attached to that price. Granted I'm the way wrong person to even consider something like that as 40g is too small even for a sump. But the way I see that post is $200 for a dirty 40g acrylic tank and 20g sump with homemade baffles put in, then take everything else for free, if you don't want to spend $200 for the tank and sump, probably not worht it.

Swk, where do you live? The $200 tank is less than a mile from my house! The tank could be awful or a diamond in the rough. From the pics (wonder why anyone would post such horrible pics) it is most likely more trouble than it's worth.

The other tank (ADA) is nice - assuming the tank has no damage. ADA is considered a high quality tank.

I'm in Santa Rosa near hwy12 and Fulton. Nice to see another Santa Rosa resident here!

I've pretty much decided to pass. I was much more excited before he texted me the pics. I have a 40b black back acrylic that I currently use as a fry tank that I might poach for this project as I've never drilled glass and don't have the bits handy. We will see....

Thing about used equipment you have to judge what you want out of the system vs. what you get. You said you want a 40g breeder with a 20g sump. Well if you can hit up PetCo's $1/gallon sales, that's about $60 for glass. Now you say the acrylic is nicer to you so ok that's a premium. Looking at the pictures in the Craigslist ad, is there anything there that you think is worth an extra $140 or so?

For me, I see junk. A low-end LED fixture which by itself if that's what you wanted would make this work, however only half the LEDs work as per the description, so I'd call that junk. What looks to be some cruddy skimmers with a yogurt cup as a collection cup or something? Looks to be some branching frogspawn or something that's still alive, but is that a coral you really want? And one that's survived a tank crash? Who knows how much of it is healthy.

Overall, it's someone who wants to get out, and I think there's a bit too much emotional baggage attached to that price. Granted I'm the way wrong person to even consider something like that as 40g is too small even for a sump. But the way I see that post is $200 for a dirty 40g acrylic tank and 20g sump with homemade baffles put in, then take everything else for free, if you don't want to spend $200 for the tank and sump, probably not worht it.

Thanks for the advice it makes a lot of sense.

I hear you on tank size. My other tanks are a 180, 150 and 125. I just do not want to spend thousands on setting something up that I'm not even sure I will enjoy. This way I can get in for cheap and can convert one of my larger tanks if and when I have the desire to stick with it and upgrade.

Back