High Tide Aquatics

Anion DI Resin

I ordered some Anion DI resin and it arrived with the bag punctured with some reason spilling out into the shipping box.

Is it still ok to use as long as the remaining resin is damp?
I've done some research on this. Not an extensive deep dive though.

Typically, the resin is to remain air-tight until usage. I recently had a large bag of mixed bed media come in with a broken seal, but was inside a second bag. I still required a replacement or a full refund.

Can you use it? Yes. Just keep an eye on your TDS output and expect there to be some decrease in performance. How much of a decrease though? I have not dived deep enough to get a good opinion.

I have been trying to find some specific data, regarding the various types of resins changing their charge when exposed to air for extended periods of time. I think for our type of usage, the ionic exchange difference would be indistinguishable. But that depends on quantity and quality of air exposure during transit. I hope that makes sense.

In the nuclear industry, chip making industry, or other similar industries that require perfectly clean water, there are normally regulatory requirements to their water filtration. From what I have seen is pre-filled resin cartridges with virgin grade resin.

I've done some research on this. Not an extensive deep dive though.

Typically, the resin is to remain air-tight until usage. I recently had a large bag of mixed bed media come in with a broken seal, but was inside a second bag. I still required a replacement or a full refund.

Can you use it? Yes. Just keep an eye on your TDS output and expect there to be some decrease in performance. How much of a decrease though? I have not dived deep enough to get a good opinion.

I have been trying to find some specific data, regarding the various types of resins changing their charge when exposed to air for extended periods of time. I think for our type of usage, the ionic exchange difference would be indistinguishable. But that depends on quantity and quality of air exposure during transit. I hope that makes sense.

In the nuclear industry, chip making industry, or other similar industries that require perfectly clean water, there are normally regulatory requirements to their water filtration. From what I have seen is pre-filled resin cartridges with virgin grade resin.
Thanks for the info @ReyDeFarts! I'm getting sent a replacement at no extra charge, so I'll probably just use that to be safe. Who knows how long it's been punctured, the cardboard box is shipped in was not that damaged.

Thanks for the info @ReyDeFarts! I'm getting sent a replacement at no extra charge, so I'll probably just use that to be safe. Who knows how long it's been punctured, the cardboard box is shipped in was not that damaged.
You could technically use the air exposed resin. It just won't last as long or be as good is all. So if anything, use it up. Even if it only last half as long, still got something out of it!

Back