Reef nutrition

Anna & Pablo’s RSR P650

I’ve been a bad reefer. The MEN distracted me from a slow crash and then I went on vacation (after adding a bunch of wrasses). A lot of coral is dead or dying including some softies. My entire green birds nest colony is dead. The only silver lining is that the fish are all happy.

I don’t know the cause, but I will start with water changes and fixing the issues I know about - like depleted DI resin. I’m going to pivot away from SPS once things are healthy again and simplify my tank.
Sounds like about the state I got to :(
Sorry to hear about your losses

I just tested for phosphate and I measured 1 ppm. This could be the cause of my massive die off, or part of the result. I have no algae but I do have some Cyano. Nitrates are 25 ppm.

Has anyone ever hit such high phosphate? Is it deadly? Is GFO my best course of action? I’ve done 4 water changes in a week - before this measurement.

I have hit .5, while I know Thales has hit 1 like you. The corals seem to be able to withstand it for a while, but I believe it inhibits new growth. Lanthanum chloride dripped in a fine sock or gfo are the common solutions. I use a gfo reactor that I run 6 hours a day and change the media on every month.

Last edited:
I have seen it that high in thriving tanks. The overall number would worry me some, especially if you’re having problems with coral health or algae. I think if it goes up that high slowly many corals can handle it. Make sure you don’t bring it down to fast. I’d go with gfo in a reactor. Start w a small amount changed weekly or every other week and build up if needed.

The 22g frag tank has been fully converted to a water change vessel.

I started out with the XP Aqua Flood Guardian to fill it with RODI.

I then added a Fluval E100 heater. I like this one because it has an LCD display that shows the temp and changes color from blue to green to red.

Next, was a Neptune WAV - I have several spares and I love the single cable to the EB832.

A spare Neptune PMUP is used to drain the old water. I plumbed it with 3/8” tubing to a drain. It’s also a single cable to the EB832 and has run-dry protection.

Topped it all off with a snazzy ABS lid from Tap Plastics (really great people)

So, all I do is this:
Turn off the return pump to the tank.
Turn on the PMUP to drain the old water.
Turn on the Flood Guardian to fill it with RODI.
Once full, turn on the WAV and the heater to get it to temp.
Throw in the salt.
Let it mix, test salinity and then turn the return pump on - new water flows into the sump.
Turn everything else off.

B5541D38-15E8-42CE-8060-06496AF47B5B.jpeg

The water change system failed me. I neglected to put a siphon break on the drain line and it happened, lost all its water. Fortunately I was nearby and heard unusual water sounds. Caught it just in time.

I added a siphon break and a valve on the drain line.

The water change system failed me. I neglected to put a siphon break on the drain line and it happened, lost all its water. Fortunately I was nearby and heard unusual water sounds. Caught it just in time.

I added a siphon break and a valve on the drain line.
Wow. Lucky you were there

My ICP results came in today.

A9EC8BF9-36C5-49F1-9C76-D9CB2D5F9364.jpeg

I don’t know what to make of it but Lithium is very high. Where could it come from? Should I be concerned about the others? Bromine and Boron? I’ve had a lot of coral death in the past few months

After some googling, it seems IO Reef Crystals is the source and it’s not harmful. The others don’t seem to be an issue - so the ICP results don’t explain my tank’s issues

Having a bit of an emergency, not sure what to do. Skimmer overflowed and fish are not happy. How can I get rid of this foam?

9705F2C0-330D-4EFB-8F3B-00411C417E8A.jpeg

Having a bit of an emergency, not sure what to do. Skimmer overflowed and fish are not happy. How can I get rid of this foam?

View attachment 38365
I do this all the time, put a tube in the skimmer to syphon the goop out into a bucket, and then let the skimmer run for a few hours like that, it will fill up and drain until things are back to normal. Replace the lost volume with fresh salt water. You can adjust the skimmer to run a little wetter while you do this, and then after a few hours, pull it back to normal.

Back