Jestersix

Anna & Pablo’s RSR P650

I have the lights off and Phosphate is zero.
That’s strange. You used a decomposing shrimp and the fish excrement/food to cycle, right? Both of those should be putting out phosphate in proportion to nitrate, I would expect around 10 ppm if your Nitrate is 100. What are you using to test phosphate? You’ll need a low-range test like the Hanna ULR eventually if you don’t have one.

Usually when people have this extreme imbalance of high nitrate and no phosphate after cycling it’s because they used ammonia to cycle. If true, you’ll either have to do water changes or add phosphate to fix biologically. Which is why I don’t recommend that approach.

I started with the shrimp but got impatient and removed it. Then I dosed ammonia (but 1/4 of the recommended amount) and when that cleared up, I ghost fed for a few days until I got the fish. I’ve been feeding them lightly for 8 days now.

I added Dr. Tim’s bacteria 3 times.

Chaeto and Caulerpa have been in the fuge for 5 days with 6 hrs of light at night. Tank lights have been off.

I measured Phosphate and Nitrate with Salifert tests and did a 25% water change yesterday.

The Salifert phosphate test isn‘t good at measuring in the range most people keep their reef tanks, <0.1. I used to use it. You’re going to want to buy a better test. I’ve tried several, and I use the Hanna ULR and am happy with it.

From experience I would not advice for carbon dosing unless you are planning to stick with it or do it after research and knowledge of the carbon system you will dose.
Things like vodka, nopox, zeovit..etc
Never heard that. I guess they are pretty similar chemically though.
Anyone else say the same thing?
First time I hear of such also..these test kits have a range and accuracy I did not know they can be impaired by other chemical paramaters

Never heard that. I guess they are pretty similar chemically though.
Anyone else say the same thing?
Yes:

Thanks guys.
The last question on there is something I want an answer to also. I’m guessing not but who knows.
So it seems like api wouldn’t have the same issue.
Learn something new every day

Ammonia is < 0.15
Nitrite is 1
Nitrate is 100

Only fish in the tank. This tells me that the nitrifying bacteria are doing their job. But...should I do anything to lower nitrate or just let the Chaeto get established and soak it up.
What kit are you using for nitrate? Salifert?

That seems to be the case, Salifert shows much higher Nitrate. API says ~10 ppm.

c7ae4638fa8789cd0a899b4b67241eab.jpg

d4e859b34f5d0051c4f3d318454c135a.jpg

6a468c53ae8bb73faf5ef6e1ad811536.jpg

74a0eb7bef488a6df00f861e05b6a945.jpg

Back