Reef nutrition

Anyone know where I can buy a 4’x2’ sheet of black egg crate?

MarcosDelgado0

Supporting Member
I’m looking to DIY a frag rack for the frag tank so I’m looking for a large piece of black egg crate. I tried Neptune because I’ve seen them there before but it seems like they’re all out. Anyone know of a local place near SJ that carries them?

Thanks in advanced!

Thanks. I just stopped by and unfortunately they didn’t have any. But seeing the acrylic sheets gave me an idea. I’m going to DIY some acrylic frag racks. I bought the supplies so we’ll see how it goes
You just mark the holes and drill them out right? To make a frag rack

Home Depot. Search for egg crate suspended light panel. Hmm.. maybe they don’t have it in black. White for sure

You just mark the holes and drill them out right? To make a frag rack
Yeah basically. From experience I think this is going to be one of those things that sounds easy to me and then ends up being annoying lol. The tank external dimensions are 48”x24” so I got six 11”x14” pieces. I was going to go with two larger sheets but then I feel like it’s going to be annoying if I ever need to move one for some reason and there’s frags on it. I’m going to use a frag rack I have as a template and outline the holes with a white sharpie, then use a forstner bit to cut out the holes. Will probably be very tedious drilling a bunch of holes out. Depending how clean the holes come out I might need to sand them all as well. For legs, I got some acrylic dowels cut to size and going to be using weldon to attach them to the acrylic sheet. Hopefully it’s as easy as it sounds

This is kinda what I’m going for

Attachments

• IMG_9678.png
    IMG_9678.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 47
Yeah basically. From experience I think this is going to be one of those things that sounds easy to me and then ends up being annoying lol. The tank external dimensions are 48”x24” so I got six 11”x14” pieces. I was going to go with two larger sheets but then I feel like it’s going to be annoying if I ever need to move one for some reason and there’s frags on it. I’m going to use a frag rack I have as a template and outline the holes with a white sharpie, then use a forstner bit to cut out the holes. Will probably be very tedious drilling a bunch of holes out. Depending how clean the holes come out I might need to sand them all as well. For legs, I got some acrylic dowels cut to size and going to be using weldon to attach them to the acrylic sheet. Hopefully it’s as easy as it sounds
Do deburring tools work with acrylic? They were extremely convenient and clean with aluminum CNC when I used them, i can imagine sanding being pretty boring on a thousand holes

Stepped drill bit worked great for me when I made a frag rack from acrylic. Using the 1/2" size allowed me to drill all the way through
I’m curious, did you round the edges on your frack rack? I just thought about it looking at some pictures online but I’m not sure how to go about it

Oh speaking of more racks: If you can, make some extras. That way when coralline, nuisance algae, whatever else on there grows on the rack, you can just swap out the rack and chemically clean it

I’m curious, did you round the edges on your frack rack? I just thought about it looking at some pictures online but I’m not sure how to go about it
I didn't, nothing fancy. Just got some scrap acrylic from Tap Plastics from their $2 bin, used an online dot grid generator, printed it out to mark all the points on the acrylic, then just went straight through with the step drill bit using a drill press.

1000006154.jpg

Don't use white. I don't know the reason why white quickly develops cyano but it always has for me, and balck never has. BRS used to carry black and shipping is free.
If the diy acrylic frag rack doesn’t work out I’m going to order from BRS. I was trying to avoid ordering online but nowhere local has it that I can find

Back