Reef nutrition

Arin's Frag Tank Journal

This is skipping ahead a bit but as I’ve started revisiting this build I’ve realized that I regret not buying a larger sump.

hmmmmmm
Arin, great build so far! That CDA frag tank is looking awesome! Wish I kept it lol, but glad it went to a good home and being put to good use.

I’ll be selling one of my extra sumps soon. One is a glass sump from a Reefer 450 and the other is a Synergy Reef TS-34. Not sure which one I’ll be keeping yet. Hmu if you are interested.

So minor update to the setup....

I recently got sick of trying to clean the algae around the MP40 headphones on my DT. So I decided I'd put them on the back glass. looks way better but now I'm missing a bit of the cross cutting flow... so I bought some Neptune WAV pumps as those can be angled; I figure I'd also put them on the back glass and angle them to have some current bounce off the front or side walls etc.

Turns out the WAVs are too strong for this application... even at 1% my euphyllia looked like they were going to get shredded; even with the MP40s off the WAVs alone were too much (on back glasss). They just didn't work well for this situation. So, I decided I'd put the WAVs in the frag tank & steal the MP40s from there and use those in my DT

The frag tank currently has 2 MP40s (left & right) and 2 Red Sea gyres on the bottom, back. The Red Seas only turn on for 5 minutes an hour and their sole purpose is to blow the gunk off the floor, into the column and, hopefully, through the mechanical filtration.

So now the 2 WAVs are the only 2 pumps powering this tank and they're doing well. They're on the sides but all the way in the back & at the bottom. I angled them slightly as well to get a nice turbulence. This way I get some nice flow and they help keeping stuff off the bottom of the tank.

With a 4ft width the WAVs work fine and I can turn them up without worrying about a torch getting a hair cut. However - they were just too strong on my DT's back glass no matter how I tried to angle them.

TL;DR replaced 2 MP40's and 2 Gyres with 2 WAVs. No not claiming these are better, can do double the work etc... but with my setup etc it's working fine and allows me to snatch the Vortech off the frag tank and repurpose them in the DT

Any updates?
Oh so many… including the fact that I’m probably going to take the tank down.

I’ve recently realized that I’m better off with just one tank. It’s just too much work having multiple complete setups.

Soon I’ll upgrade my DT to a larger one and take this bad boy down. It’s a nice tank but I just don’t have the time/energy for 3 tanks

Oh so many… including the fact that I’m probably going to take the tank down.

I’ve recently realized that I’m better off with just one tank. It’s just too much work having multiple complete setups.

Soon I’ll upgrade my DT to a larger one and take this bad boy down. It’s a nice tank but I just don’t have the time/energy for 3 tanks
Multiple tanks is tough work. I’ll buy the tank back. I need to down size my garage tank. Evap is killing me. I’ll message you in the AM.

Multiple tanks is tough work. I’ll buy the tank back. I need to down size my garage tank. Evap is killing me. I’ll message you in the AM.
Oh cool. I’ll toss in the overflow

No rush though. I’m remodeling the room the DT is in and the tanks holding my fish till I get a new tank up and running. It’ll be a little while… remodel won’t start for another week

Back