Kessil

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

H2OPlayar

Member at large
BOD
Nest already has built in stuff for this. So it’s kind of a redundancy setup in case Nest’s safety temp stuff doesn’t kick in.
Be aware, some of the smart thermostats (like nest) will go into "energy saving" mode if they don't detect motion, which would push the max temp up. I am sure there is a hold setting or way to integrate it to be more of a sure thing, but I haven't had great success there without logging into the app from my phone.
 

phatduckk

Supporting Member
Be aware, some of the smart thermostats (like nest) will go into "energy saving" mode if they don't detect motion, which would push the max temp up. I am sure there is a hold setting or way to integrate it to be more of a sure thing, but I haven't had great success there without logging into the app from my phone.
Ya nest for sure has home/away assist. I have mine set to eco mode when we’re out. My eco temp “high” is 80. So worst case the AC goes on when it’s 80 in the hallway. The room the tanks in is dramatically cooler so I should be fine.
 

phatduckk

Supporting Member
Well, the fallow period is pretty boring but I've been taking advantage of the fishless situation to do a few things:
  1. first and foremost I bought some coral :) figured I might as well use the fallow period to serve as a coral QT (against fish parasites)
  2. I also replaced the return nozzles on the Reefer with ones from VCA so I could connect some loc-line. The stock ones pointed right at the front corners making that sand fly away. Now that I can aim them a bit the sand's not leaving the corners & I could turn my MP40's up (never could tell if it was the MP40s or return)
  3. Bought an ozotech ozone generator & an ORP probe. Probe's hooked up and I'm waiting for it to settle in. I haven't connected the ozone yet b/c the included tubing is way too short so I had to order a longer strand. boo
  4. Got an RODI booster pump. My old mixing setup had the RODI unit right near the house's main water in; that got me about 90PSI. In the new spot I was down to 50... which is fine - but since I'm constantly making water for the QT systems I wanted to get quicker refills. Plus, this should speed up filling my 105g AWC reservoir.
that's about it....

QT is going ok... I lost 1 fish. The rest vary from OK to "just fine" - I do worry about a couple of 'em but I'm doing what I can. The blue hippo, the only one with visible spots, seems to have cleared the trophont phase - so I assume the protomonts have been nuked in the copper. He still has discoloration spots which I assume are wounds from the feeding stage. I'm gonna check with my QT friends and see what if I need to do anything about that... I know they can get viral nodules post copper - so we'll see.

Testing copper levels sucks BTW. The Hanna reagent is super duper fine and getting the powder out is about 2x more annoying than w/ the phosphate reagent.

Aside from that I feed the shrimp & CUC a few times a week and ... just wait LOL
 

phatduckk

Supporting Member
Alrighty - the booster pump has earned its keep. Previously making 15g of RODI took me about 105 minutes. Now with the booster running @ 85psi its down to 77 minutes... almost 30% faster. Not bad!
I went ahead and updated my ATO and NSW auto-fill programming with updated time values (force shutoff after X minutes).

The only problem is the pressure switch didn't shut the booster off when I shut off the input water (via solenoid). I can't be bothered to debug it so I just plugged the booster pump into an EB832 and programmed it to shut it off when the solenoids are closed.
 

phatduckk

Supporting Member
Tonight’s project: clean up, stash and/or sell a bunch of stuff.

1A7853C2-4098-4512-99E1-8E2881A848BA.jpeg
 
Top