Kessil

Aussie Gold Torches

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I read in other forums that Aussie Gold Torches are not very hardy - and the one I bought from Austin Aqua Farms seems to be a goner. Do any of you have any experience keeping them long term? Any tips?

I read in other forums that Aussie Gold Torches are not very hardy - and the one I bought from Austin Aqua Farms seems to be a goner. Do any of you have any experience keeping them long term? Any tips?

How long do you have it now? Do you have a old and current picture ?

How long do you have it now? Do you have a old and current picture ?

I’ve had it 3 weeks exactly. Don’t have the original picture but its tentacles where visible above the skeleton for maybe 2 days. This is now.

5fa2e14d173414b3be880304235c5372.jpg

Dang man I say that looks toast check it for brown jelly and if it has it toss it out asap or that beautiful torch. Next to it might get it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So yes -- probably. I've talked to distributors and pretty much hey all say the same thing. Aussie Torches are much harder to keep alive at first. One distributor figures he loses Aussies at a rate of ten to one over other torches. There's a lot of speculation as to why. There seems to be some consensus that they are much more sensitive to Alk changes, and also flow is more important to Aussies in general. It needs to be a random back and forth flow and fairly hard. One person I know speculates it's because Aussie torches seem to proliferate in reefs that tend to be a little brackish. Off shore from rivers. No clue if there's anything to that.

My (limited) experience is that they can do great for months then some relatively minor insult happens and they die. Don’t seem very resilient to me.

This is the case with a lot of the coral that is expensive in our hobby, because coral that grows well and is resilient doesn’t stay expensive for long.

My (limited) experience is that they can do great for months then some relatively minor insult happens and they die. Don’t seem very resilient to me.

This is the case with a lot of the coral that is expensive in our hobby, because coral that grows well and is resilient doesn’t stay expensive for long.

I have killed two of the sensitive little pricks......no I’m not bitter. :p

Back