got ethical husbandry?

BAR-B-Q - 6-26 Sunday-Structural Aspects of Aquariums Tank talk - Potluck and grill

Are you going to the BAR-b-q?

• Total voters

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Hello BAR,

In preparation of moving and breaking down my tank, I wanted to host one more BAR event, so here it is. The BAR-B-Q, potluck and tank talk at my house. We are going to take inspiration from the thread we all saw earlier this month and let your skills shine. Bring whatever meats or fits your fancy to eat and drink. I will have my keg refilled by then and some drinks as well as my grill for anything that needs cooking/searing.

In addition, my friend/general contractor Jesse and me (mechanical engineer) will give a talk about what considerations we took for this build including tank design, stand design, electrical setup and more. General Q&A is welcome!

This is also a great chance to see what a grown in, 3 1/2 year old tank looks like, as well as take home some frags. I'll give away some of the faster growing montiporas and pocilloporas, as well as whatever else you want to offer to buy before I start selling off my nicer pieces to the community. Like many large tanks, I have a few pests, but nothing that is a tank ender. And frankly, I don't think of any pest as a tank ender if the tank is properly designed. My list of known pests are aiptasia, red bugs, vermetid snails, red flatworms and bristle worms. For me, these all stay in check with fairly simple solutions and if any colony were to get overwhelmed there are solutions for the colony. For example, my red goniopora's lately, which have gotten an rodi hose on them to push the red flatworms off. I also have lots of dips and we can dip any frags you want to.

Come join for some food, drink and education about how to run a big tank for the long term.

Let's start people getting here around 12, so we can eat between 2-3, then we'll likely have the talk around 3pm and hang out till 5 or so.

Feel free to bring as many plus one's as you like. My back yard can fit 30 plus when we had the frag swap here.

Please fill out the poll above so I have an idea of crowd size and so I can PM you my address.

See you there!

Last edited:
Anything we should bring?

I was hoping that some of the people posting pictures of smoked meats could come out with something fun. There is a local grocery store that sells good quality veggies for grilling/roasting that I could get day of. Appetizers and desserts are always safe!

I was hoping that some of the people posting pictures of smoked meats could come out with something fun. There is a local grocery store that sells good quality veggies for grilling/roasting that I could get day of. Appetizers and desserts are always safe!
Ok, a good time for me to test out the Traeger. I can do that :)

Don’t know where your moving but will you be setting up the same tank or possibly going bigger? Also will you keep small frags of corals that are your favorite?

Good luck with everything.

Don’t know where your moving but will you be setting up the same tank or possibly going bigger? Also will you keep small frags of corals that are your favorite?

Good luck with everything.
Moving to Las Vegas for my fiancée's Air Force commitment, keeping the tank for a little while while we rent and see about buying a place over there. I would entertain selling if someone wanted the system, but also put enough effort and love into it that I don't mind trucking it around the country. I am getting as many frags to as many people with good systems as possible so that when I get my next one going, I can call BAR up and ask for a starter pack. Part of the deal of me leaving the tank location is my next ones get to be bigger, we just need the right space for them.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have to move to Vegas. Hopefully they have an active reefing community.
I'm guessing you'll be needing a chiller in Vegas. :p

Moving to Las Vegas for my fiancée's Air Force commitment, keeping the tank for a little while while we rent and see about buying a place over there. I would entertain selling if someone wanted the system, but also put enough effort and love into it that I don't mind trucking it around the country. I am getting as many frags to as many people with good systems as possible so that when I get my next one going, I can call BAR up and ask for a starter pack. Part of the deal of me leaving the tank location is my next ones get to be bigger, we just need the right space for them.
man i just couldn't have a tank when i was in the military. i was also moving every 3-5 years and being gone for 8 months at a time.

Back