Reef nutrition

Baseball Mitt

My son has joined the Jr. Giants; he's nuts about the BB team so here I am looking for a good quality mitt. He was given a nice Nike that he happened to take to a summer camp and oh yes, lost it. We gave up on calling the place to check the lost and found...
I bought at a yard sale couple years back a glove that has served it's $5 purpose, it is slowly disintegrating due to the synthetic materials it is made of, so now I have to find a mitt for myself too.
There's a TON of models, sizes, IF, OF, FB...
I have no clue on what to get that can serve different positions (nor have money to be spending in something that I'm not familiar with)
Any recommendations on brand model size?
I was looking at a Mizuno at Sports Authority, 11.5" really soft and seems to need just few hours of practice to be broken in, but price tag was $160 !! Some other ones were not as nice and comparable in price; few others under $100 but stiff to close.
Going the route of craigslist is a coin in the air; a posting has a Wilson A2000 for $40 (then a newer post for $65 ?! WTH ) but is in Petaluma.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated !

How old is your son? A2000 is a good mitt. Kinda big, though,if IIRC. We're gonna be on vacation for a week, but I can check to see what I have in the garage. I used to coach a little. That would take at least 10 days though. If he's young, then a smaller mitt might be more appropriate. Infield mitts are normally smaller, but at a young age, prob doesn't matter that much.

Different mitts for different positions? eh... for kids? there is a catchers mitt and what everyone else wears. Unless he's a first basemen, and even then I wouldn't worry too much.

Buy a used glove, you want one that's a little beat up, that's flexible, not a stiff new one.

Son's 9, I don't think he wants to be either a catcher or FB, his idol is Tim (at the moment) The A2000 is indeed big for him; I've just learned that using a large mitt at his age is somewhere in the word of "cheat" catching? not that he's cheating but that he does not properly learn the art of catching a ball (which he needs to practice).
Budget does call for a used one but gonna stay away from the $5 deals for sure.

Steve I'd appreciate if you have one somewhere, we're not in a rush as he just started practice and he's borrowing a mitt from the kids that practice before him.

Mario,
I have at least 4 mitts that you are welcome to. 3 are smaller kid's mitts and 1 is an adult's. We'll have to work out delivery.

patchin said:
Mario,
I have at least 4 mitts that you are welcome to. 3 are smaller kid's mitts and 1 is an adult's. We'll have to work out delivery.

And this is what baseball is all about. Learn the game. Play the game. Love the game. Pass it on.

Kudos sir patchin

iCon said:
patchin said:
Mario,

And this is what baseball is all about. Learn the game. Play the game. Love the game. Pass it on.

Kudos sir patchin

Sure is.

It's one of those grass roots sports. My grandpa when he was a kid played ball with a group of kids. They never had mitts, proper bats or even real balls... until they decided to catch rats (they called themselves the Rat Pack ;) ) which had IIRC a penny per tail bounty. They raised enough to get a mitt, ball and bat!!! I always like that story :)

patchin said:
Mario,

Thanks for the offer Steve it is hearty welcomed, LMK logistics as you'll be on vacation; I'm partially free tomorrow.

Thanks Mike for the offer too; I'll get in touch with Steve first.

I hate watching baseball. Don't enjoy it a bit. ...but I LOVED to play it as a kid and wouldn't give up the time my dad and I tossed the ball around.

I wouldn't be able to get them to you until after vaca. If you want to come to Newark, I could leave them out. Might be too far to go. JLMK.

Again thanks Steve !

Tomorrow I could swing by if you decide to leave them somewhere outside your place, say around 11:00am otherwise after you return from vacation.

sfsuphysics said:
Different mitts for different positions? eh... for kids? there is a catchers mitt and what everyone else wears. Unless he's a first basemen, and even then I wouldn't worry too much.

Buy a used glove, you want one that's a little beat up, that's flexible, not a stiff new one.
There are at least 5 different types of baseball gloves I know of. IF ,OF, Catcher ,1stbase ,3rd base.

bmhair03 said:
sfsuphysics said:

There are at least 5 different types of baseball gloves I know of. IF ,OF, Catcher ,1stbase ,3rd base.

For kids ;) Esp. for a first glove. You forgot batting gloves :D

Put another one on the list "Utility Glove" don't know what that is for but found that one also.
I got all confused past week when the Giants moved players on the field and one of them had five different gloves for different positions.

Hate baseball! But love the tradition (and lots of beers and hot dogs at the park on a nice sunny day!)

As a kid when we got new gloves we would rub it down with mink oil to soften the leather and break it in faster. It really helped...made it water repellant too.

-Gregory

Back