Jestersix

Battery Backup Ideas?

What do you guys use as a backup if the power goes out?

• Total voters
I want to build a off grid solar system to run my aquariums. Pge is killing me. But I can’t justify the 7000 dollar investment. Just to save 150-250 dollars a month. Been watching a lot of Will prouse on YouTube. Definitely interested in what your doing.
My back up battery is my Prius with a 2000watt inverter.
7000 investment / $200 monthly comes out to just under 3 years break even.

Shoot I spent 21k on solar (16k after rebates) and my break even is like 6 years....but think about it, once you break even now it is money you will not have to spend.

Will Prouse videos are good I watch them also.

would look for a review as I have not seen that one. I have messaged them enoight times and returned enough product that they may have added a variable fan To the newer product. They are a bit cheeky about their specs and pull product data from older product versions, so i would seek a personal review you YouTube or something.

Thank you! I will definitely have to do more researches on the Ecoflow.
BTW, we are in the process of evaluating a 10kwh solar installation. Our PG&E bills average about $175/month so hopefully the ROI won't be too long. Seriously want a battery backup as well but the costs aren't not justified at the moment.

I keep going back and forth on the Tesla power wall and always decide against it… mostly b/c of the lack of clarity on lead times.

For me, it was more of a cost benefits! There is no way I could justify spending $11,000-$12,000 for a Tesla Powerwall with storage capacity of 13.5 kWh, a continuous power output of up to 9.6 kW.
However, I think Vehicle to Home Backup solutions will soon be available so I might look into future proof the Installation for now.

I keep going back and forth on the Tesla power wall and always decide against it… mostly b/c of the lack of clarity on lead times.
I am pretty happy with Sunpower, that is the one I got.

For me, it was more of a cost benefits! There is no way I could justify spending $11,000-$12,000 for a Tesla Powerwall with storage capacity of 13.5 kWh, a continuous power output of up to 9.6 kW.
However, I think Vehicle to Home Backup solutions will soon be available so I might look into future proof the Installation for now.
Can't beat the value of the $500 harbor freight generator!

I am pretty happy with Sunpower, that is the one I got.

Can't beat the value of the $500 harbor freight generator!
Unfortunately we have Calpac roof (coated metal shingles) so there are not many installers want to deal with Solar Installation.
I already have a Tri-fuels Honda Generator, 2000W inverter so not even worry about long term power outages. We usually go away for 10 day ls to 2 weeks vacation and will be total disaster if there is a power outage when we are not home.

Unfortunately we have Calpac roof (coated metal shingles) so there are not many installers want to deal with Solar Installation.
I already have a Tri-fuels Honda Generator, 2000W inverter so not even worry about long term power outages. We usually go away for 10 day ls to 2 weeks vacation and will be total disaster if there is a power outage when we are not home.
Sounds like you could go full house propane generator if you wanted. Generac was 8k or so when I researched it.

Sounds like you could go full house propane generator if you wanted. Generac was 8k or so when I researched it.
It depends a lot on how close you can put the generator to the gas/electrical. I got it quoted last year. Equipment is $5-6000 but I couldn't really have it installed near the services, so total, installed was going to be ~$14,000

Yes, I have looked into Natural Gas Generator but had concerns with the Noise and future of Natural Gas (as many towns/cities in the bay area are going crazy banning Natural gas). Yes, they are banning new constructions but it will be a matter of times the ban will spread.
I am probably better off focusing on future solutions with Solar and backup battery.

Back