Reef nutrition

Bean Animal Plumbing Help

I need to redo the plumbing in my overflow box and was wondering how people create the "U pipe" for a bean animal overflow. My overflow box was 1" plumbing if that makes any difference. I can't find any "u pipes" available online. Is the best way to just make one with two 90 degree elbows? Thanks for the help!

Is there a problem you’re trying to fix? Why do you need a u shaped pipe?

I just never set up the overflow properly (noise wise) so now that I have some time I want to make it a proper bean animal so it overflows silently. Nothing wrong with how it is right now, just a little noisier than I'd like.

(Right now it's just three pipes at varying heights)

img_3464-jpg.385134

1637775348164.jpeg

post-66211-1310375974.jpg

Here are a few ways to make the "U" like Eric said. I thought this first picture explains it pretty well. Remember to have a small (1/16" or so) hole drilled in the top of the upper U. That sometimes causes a whistling noise, so I have made my overflow quieter by putting a piece of filter floss over the hole to break the air current.

You may want to consider going as large as possible on the plumbing sizes to reduce water velocity through the pipe.

img_3464-jpg.385134

View attachment 33452

post-66211-1310375974.jpg

Here are a few ways to make the "U" like Eric said. I thought this first picture explains it pretty well. Remember to have a small (1/16" or so) hole drilled in the top of the upper U. That sometimes causes a whistling noise, so I have made my overflow quieter by putting a piece of filter floss over the hole to break the air current.

You may want to consider going as large as possible on the plumbing sizes to reduce water velocity through the pipe.
Perfect thank you!

What is making the noise? The water dropping into the overflow or the plumbing itself?

My bean animal noise usually comes from water dropping into the overflow box when I have the water level in the overflow tuned too low.

What is making the noise? The water dropping into the overflow or the plumbing itself?

My bean animal noise usually comes from water dropping into the overflow box when I have the water level in the overflow tuned too low.
I don’t have a proper bean animal right now, it’s just 3 straight pipes. So I get a gurgling noise of water going down the middle pipe.

Like Eric mentioned, Street 90 to street 90 is what I used in tight space nano overflow box.

My bigger tank came with no bends at all. Seems to be working well without noise. Took a bit of tuning the main (lowest) and secondary drain (2nd lowest).

1637779838380.jpeg

1637779863992.jpeg

Back