got ethical husbandry?

Beating Aiptasia?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hi everyone!

I recently found that there were two aiptasia heads hiding in the back side of my tank which I previously couldn't see. Anyone have any good advice on how to beat them and make sure they stay away for good?

Thanks,
Paulo

If I have two pieces only, would it be worth it to invest in nudibranchs? Where would I be able to find those?
I cannot say, am only worried that every time someone have a breakout, it always start with one or 2. These things multiply quick especially when they are stressed out.
Maybe u can start with peppermint shrimp if it's an option and you do not have aggressive grasses. This path is also low risk since these shrimps are hardy and will not bother either things. So either they will work or not, either way you will not loose other than the cost of the shrimp or 2

I cannot say, am only worried that every time someone have a breakout, it always start with one or 2. These things multiply quick especially when they are stressed out.
Maybe u can start with peppermint shrimp if it's an option and you do not have aggressive grasses. This path is also low risk since these shrimps are hardy and will not bother either things. So either they will work or not, either way you will not loose other than the cost of the shrimp or 2
My approach was actually going to be using aiptasia X and using some reef welder to putty the aiptasia in its place

Is the aiptasia on the rock? or on the glass?

If it's on the rock, remove the rock, chip off the rock with the aiptasia, and throw it away, and call it a lesson in re-aquascaping. If it's on the glass, combine it with a water change, get a hose to siphon water out right over the aiptasia, then slide a razor blade up the glass a few times to scrape it off, I'd do it quite a few times to make sure no flesh remains. If it's in the sand, just scoop up the sand with the aiptasia and toss it in the garbage.

My approach was actually going to be using aiptasia X and using some reef welder to putty the aiptasia in its place
Man I advice against aiptasia x. I used it in the past and it only multiplied them.
Many reefers have reported the same. So maybe it work, with me it did not. Thw anomene will shrink and disappear but in 3 weeks 2 to 3 appear instead..
Will let other users recommend as well.

Is the aiptasia on the rock? or on the glass?

If it's on the rock, remove the rock, chip off the rock with the aiptasia, and throw it away, and call it a lesson in re-aquascaping. If it's on the glass, combine it with a water change, get a hose to siphon water out right over the aiptasia, then slide a razor blade up the glass a few times to scrape it off, I'd do it quite a few times to make sure no flesh remains. If it's in the sand, just scoop up the sand with the aiptasia and toss it in the garbage.
I can't remove the rock because my rock structure is all one big piece I puttied together. :(

Aiptasia x works, but you MUST get it in the mouth. You can see it go inside the stalk when done right. It can Be tough, and if not in the mouth they will mostly die off but definitely come back. I also make a little pile on top of them even after I force feed them and leave all flow off for as I dare so it doesn’t float onto other corals.

I’ve always had luck with peppermint shrimp. I know some people say it’s hit or miss but in the past it’s the only thing that worked for me.

Aiptasia x works, but you MUST get it in the mouth. You can see it go inside the stalk when done right. It can Be tough, and if not in the mouth they will mostly die off but definitely come back. I also make a little pile on top of them even after I force feed them and leave all flow off for as I dare so it doesn’t float onto other corals.
I think the key in chemichal approach to make sure the chemical stay a bit on the nem then you need to siphon the nem and chemichal complete. Otherwise nem can just shred and spread in the tank.
With me no matter how much I tried to be careful, always a small piece here or there escape my siphon and I think is what cause it to pop somewhere else..

If you are considering the chemical burn approach like Aiptasia-X, there is a related but better product called "F-Aiptasia" that is also a caustic paste, but it is thicker and hardens over the Aiptasia. I believe has a better contain/kill rate.

If you are considering the chemical burn approach like Aiptasia-X, there is a related but better product called "F-Aiptasia" that is also a caustic paste, but it is thicker and hardens over the Aiptasia. I believe has a better contain/kill rate.
I think I may actually try this one out, thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: JVU
Back