Our mission

Best way to get rid of a single aiptasia?

Okay after reading up on pygmy filefish I'm excited to get one because they look adorable. Is there a specific type of coral they like to go after if they're not well fed?

Sorry to let you down. Only bristletail filefish will go after aiptasia. Pygmies are awesome and cute but they're just cute. ;)

Sorry to let you down. Only bristletail filefish will go after aiptasia. Pygmies are awesome and cute but they're just cute. ;)
Most file fish I've had will readily accept small pellets. And if fed, they prefer pellets over anything else.

Occasionally, they may nip but most nipping is minimal and harmless. If you have a sps tank, tha Orange spotted will nip acros but not aiptasia but beautiful

Well, crap. Bristletails are cute too, but don't think I'd be able to keep it long term since I don't think the tank can handle the bioload of another 4" fish.

I used to keep on in a Fluval EVO 13.5G... i don't think there's much bioload tbh. Very clean fish

Oh, huh. I already have an ocellaris clown, yellow tail damsel, and bar goby in the tank (Nuvo 20). I thought I was pushing it already; would adding the filefish be an issue?

Just take the rock out and let it dry out or bleach it
Seriously...my tank, when I started it, had one aiptasia. My tank is now used as an Aiptasia farm.

Seriously, take the rock out. If other stuff is attached to the rock, either attach them to a different rock, or cut out the aiptasia part. THEN put that in a QT tank.

There's never "one aiptasia".

V

I've managed to spot treat out aiptasia from tanks, but typically only when I find it on the frag, then check regularly until I find the other two or three I didn't know were there. You have to be *very* diligent and very lucky. If you have one in your overflow box, sump, etc., it will keep spreading.

Take the rock out and dry it out is the best bet.

Next best is to burn the bugger out (I've used a nail heated on the stove, held with pliers), then cut out the section of rock (I'll scrape as well, but never in the tank), then rinse the whole thing, then cover it in a thick kalk paste (or the item of your choice), then return it to the tank and make sure the kalk paste is still there. For some reason if I let it sit a few minutes I don't have an issue with it blowing around the tank and causing a pH spike.

Seeing as we're talking about heat and live rock out of tanks I'm going to remind you that palytoxin is real.

Berghia were wildly successful for me once, and utterly useless the other. Depends if they are successful breeding in your tank IMO.

Back