Cali Kid Corals

Best way to prevent vortechs from falling off

Adit0

Supporting Member
A couple of weeks ago I had the wetside and dryside on one of my Mp40s randomly fall off, the dry side falling into my kalk reservoir. Luckily after a quick rinse in RODI and a rice soak for a week it's working just fine but I want a more failsafe way to keep the dryside from falling (the stickers that come with the pumps do not work). Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

Put a hook or something on the rim of your tank, and zip-tie the dry side cord to it, so that it mostly holds the weight.
You can remove/replace the zip-tie as needed.
As a bonus, when you pull out the wet-side for cleaning, the dry side usually stays put.

I am using the correct spacers... the pump in question was an older style mp40 where for my thickness (3/4") you use a very thin rubber film and can see the rotating part of the motor. I might try using 4 stickers at a time + if I can find a hook for my rim secure the cord to that as well. The cord was facing up but that seemed to only increase the force pushing it away from the glass, idk but when I remounted it I let it rotate to the direction of least resistance.

Has this been an ongoing issue or did it just start recently? Just tossing this out there, but did you replace the wet end with a new one recently? The new wet ends don't work well with some of the older gen vortechs. If that's the case, contact Ecotech and open up a ticket. Ecotech will replace the magnets on the dry end so it's compatible with the new wet side free of charge minus the shipping cost to get the unit to them.

I am using the correct spacers... the pump in question was an older style mp40 where for my thickness (3/4") you use a very thin rubber film and can see the rotating part of the motor. I might try using 4 stickers at a time + if I can find a hook for my rim secure the cord to that as well. The cord was facing up but that seemed to only increase the force pushing it away from the glass, idk but when I remounted it I let it rotate to the direction of least resistance.

These hide pretty well if you put them right at the edge of the glass on a rimless tank.

Cable Clips with Strong Self-Adhesive, XIAOXI Cable Management TV PC Wire Holder Sticky Tidy and Organizer Cord and Wires - 40 Pcs (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YFFTSNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_863QDTA22DSWBYK9P8RE?psc=1

These hide pretty well if you put them right at the edge of the glass on a rimless tank.

Cable Clips with Strong Self-Adhesive, XIAOXI Cable Management TV PC Wire Holder Sticky Tidy and Organizer Cord and Wires - 40 Pcs (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YFFTSNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_863QDTA22DSWBYK9P8RE?psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation @RandyC. Wires looks much cleaner. Makes it easier to clean my glass now too.
BB7051DB-7BD0-43E1-A326-EA32C964138E.jpeg

Back