Jestersix

Best wet/dry shop vac

In market for a dry/wet vac for cleaning sump etc.

Any recommendations?

How do you feel about following vac that fots on top of 5 gallon bucket? Does it seal water well? Enough suction power?

What ^^^ he said, you can get yourself the best shop vac possible... but why spend that kind of money putting it into a condition which they are not in any way meant for (regardless of the "wet" description they often have)

Bucket vac works fine but fills up so fast it’s basically unusable for cleaning purposes. I’ve thought about ways to slow it down but instead I just don’t use it.

Bucket vac works fine but fills up so fast it’s basically unusable for cleaning purposes. I’ve thought about ways to slow it down but instead I just don’t use it.
I bought one just to clean a CNC mill sump... that had never been cleaned in 10 years. 35g sump. Took me FOREVER with that bucket, and yeah, it's super unstable.

I had a cheap Ridged for years. Used it for saltwater a few times when I had to break down 2 stores and a wholesale facility.

I use cheapo Ace Hardware fuel siphon tubing with the manual squeeze bulb. Works great, much better than several other more expensive solutions I’ve tried for starting a siphon to transfer water. It clogs pretty easily though so not great for cleaning out messier areas like sump detritus.

I’ve tried the ones with battery operated small pumps like linked to above and they don’t work nearly as well as the hand-pumped one in my experience.

Like this:

I have a buckethead and the cheapest home depot one in my workshop. Buckethead is very convenient as it uses your buckets which I know everyone has a bunch of. It's small and you just detach the head form the bucket and carry the bucket and dump the water. A larger wet/dry is much more cumbersome to carry around to empty.

Back