Neptune Aquatics

BRS co2 scrubber worked brilliantly.

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Since I’ve got the apex I’ve been able to monitor PH and my normal swing was 7.7-8 daily barely ever going past 8 and since adding the scrubber it’s now a swing of 8.05-8.28 and hasn’t dropped below 8 yet. Time will tell how long the media lasts in my reef but even if I only get 2 weeks out of it the bump in Ph is worth the 3$ of media a week to run. Maybe the easiest thing I’ve ever hooked up as well since it just plugged right into the air hose on my skimmer.
39B16EC5-EE7F-4F58-A24B-573A946B9DB5.jpeg

Nice. I’ve thought about it but will wait until my colony’s are picking up steam. Please keep us posted on how long the media lasts. What skimmer are you using?

I’m using an vertex omega 180. I’ll post updates as I go. I’m glad I checked my alk today as with the increased PH my consumption went up so I had to dose a little extra and adjust the dosing pumps to to add a little bit more.

Nice, I'm planning on setting up a scrubber soon also. I saw this brs video where you can control it with a solenoid valve (Neptune's is easier to use instead of one in video) to control the exact ph level you want. Set it to suck in straight air when high and air through C02 media when it's low.

Also, my ph was hovering about the same as yours 7.7-8.0, but then I hooked up my UV sterilizer and it shifted to between 8.1-8.3. Not exactly sure why but I have read that other people have had the same experience.

Also, my ph was hovering about the same as yours 7.7-8.0, but then I hooked up my UV sterilizer and it shifted to between 8.1-8.3. Not exactly sure why but I have read that other people have had the same experience.

I would guees photosynthesis. UV cleared up the water Allowing more light to penetrate through and increased PAR.

But isn’t the algae doing photosynthesis too?

It does, but if I'm right and more light can penetrate throughout the entire tank, then you should have more photosynthesis going on because more light is getting to the entirety of the tank instead of being blocked by a layer of algae near the water surface.

Or I'm just full of poop.

It does, but if I'm right and more light can penetrate throughout the entire tank, then you should have more photosynthesis going on because more light is getting to the entirety of the tank instead of being blocked by a layer of algae near the water surface.

Or I'm just full of poop.
I’ve been trying to come up with an idea as to why what Evan observed might have happened and yours is better than anything I came up with. The best I could do was maybe the algae was producing some sort of chemical or compound that was somehow lower ph. But I don’t even know what that would be.

I’ve been trying to come up with an idea as to why what Evan observed might have happened and yours is better than anything I came up with. The best I could do was maybe the algae was producing some sort of chemical or compound that was somehow lower ph. But I don’t even know what that would be.

Well, if anyone is planning to install an UV unit on an established system, we should get them to test PAR levels before and then a week or two after.

Last edited:
I did notice my nems refract a bit once I added my UV. I’m not sure the % but it sure seemed that the par was increased and once everything adjusted the growth seems better but that could just be the cleaner water.

This is the write up that sold me on a UV and I can say most if not all of what he states does seem to occur with a properly sized UV running at the correct flow rates.

Back