got ethical husbandry?

BTA eggs!

Just noticed this morning my new monster big nem is a girl...one that is probably getting ready to spawn. Eggs being pushed to the tips.

Now if I can only find a male to match it up with in case it does... I have a vague sense and perhaps blind coincidence after enough nems on guessing which might be a female... I've noticed that the two females I've encountered tend to have dark areas at the based of the foot that I am guessing might be egg sacs. This was the case in one that died and I happened to dissect afterwards to satisfy a curiosity. And I had guess this new one to also be female when I first got it. Seeing the eggs inside the tips just confirmed it for me. so maybe the opposite of that? Just don't know if BTAs empty out all their eggs upon spawn and start anew to product new ones... in which case, it would be hard to distinguish between male \ female at that stage.

Just something interesting that I thought I would share

1576523255317.png

It's nawt a toomah! :D

But yeah you sure you want those things to spawn? I mean sure if this was a tank with CSBs or other equally pricey anemones sure, but might start to get aiptasia like treatment in that tank with bubble tips :D

It's nawt a toomah! :D

But yeah you sure you want those things to spawn? I mean sure if this was a tank with CSBs or other equally pricey anemones sure, but might start to get aiptasia like treatment in that tank with bubble tips :D
hah... the nem is in a 3.7G QT (Imaginatarium 3.7Gs from Petco are great nano reef/QT tanks BTW). So no problem with spawning... I have a 45G low boy in my garage that was set up as a wild nem tank missing wild nems (last 2 didn't make it). So my plan is to collect the eggs and release it there and let nature play out.

I'm doing daily water changes with cipro running to help with the wild to capture transition. With any luck, I am hoping it would produce some interesting offsprings... If not, I can build a nem garden anyway. Originally this huge BTA was suppose to go into my DT and be a focal point...so will still go there. But if it's a spawner then maybe into the garage tank instead.

I wonder if the spawn would survive vs. be injured in the pumps and cloud the water? Rich, is there any precedent for nems successfully spawning in small closed systems?

Anything happen with the eggs???
So I think the nem released the eggs since they were gone one day. But unfortunately , before I realized it, I did an aggressive water change and dumped the water since it was a QT. I did however, pull the filter out and tossed it into my wild tank in hopes of something happening. There was 2 - 3 clumps that looked like it might be something good. so hopeful.

At least I know I have a girl that I can work with. :)

I wonder if the spawn would survive vs. be injured in the pumps and cloud the water? Rich, is there any precedent for nems successfully spawning in small closed systems?
There have been cases of tank spawning successfully. Most of the time, this is accidental but when it happens, folks either love it or hate it since often this means throwing the tank outta whack.

Back