High Tide Aquatics

Bubble algae problem

There was a thread on here from at least a year ago where it seemed like a half dozen members tried it out in their tanks with various types of algae with varying results. I’ll have to see if I can dig it up. I think it was Dick Flanegan (I think that’s his name) who started the thread. Does anyone remember his user name?

We had a small bubble algae problem that threatened to go nuclear in the tank.

First step was attempting to scrape it off but seem to only spread it in areas not covered in coralline algae.

Got a foxface-I think too small/young to do anything.

Next got a sailfin-he/she did a good job of
Keeping it in check-hence I could see small bubbles but nothing really big.

On occasion I would scrape some off and the sailfin would go right after it. Easiest solution in the end was really promoting coralline algae growth.

Also note, my nitrates were 0 but my phosphates were between .16-.2-I tried lowering it on occasion but eventually just left as is and gave up on sps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a small bubble algae problem that threatened to go nuclear in the tank.

First step was attempting to scrape it off but seem to only spread it in areas not covered in coralline algae.

Got a foxface-I think too small/young to do anything.

Next got a sailfin-he/she did a good job of
Keeping it in check-hence I could see small bubbles but nothing really big.

On occasion I would scrape some off and the sailfin would go right after it. Easiest solution in the end was really promoting coralline algae growth.

Also note, my nitrates were 0 but my phosphates were between .16-.2-I tried lowering it on occasion but eventually just left as is and gave up on sps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve seen SPS die off in several tanks with 0 nitrates. They started doing well in the tanks where the owners started dosing nitrate in small quantities.
Near zero can be fine, but get close enough to zero and things starve.

Back