got ethical husbandry?

Bubble tip 'nem

I’ve decided my new tank is going to be bubble-tip free, so I’m looking to pass along all of my nems. I have three ready right now, and will have more over the next couple of weeks as I can get them free. Here’s a quick iPhone pic of the currently ready to go three, but they are all from the same line. Please come get them, sooner is better.
D2CC0310-9412-431B-A7B8-72AAC550F902.jpeg

I’ve decided my new tank is going to be bubble-tip free, so I’m looking to pass along all of my nems. I have three ready right now, and will have more over the next couple of weeks as I can get them free. Here’s a quick iPhone pic of the currently ready to go three, but they are all from the same line. Please come get them, sooner is better.
View attachment 28299
Hey @Corallus , what's you rationale for the no-nem tank? Just don't like them walking around? or anything else?
Trying to contemplate adding one to my tank.

Hey @Corallus , what's you rationale for the no-nem tank? Just don't like them walking around? or anything else?
Trying to contemplate adding one to my tank.
Nems are great from months ~6 to ~24. After that, you like your coral more that you have been growing out, and nems cannot be controlled and sting everything they touch. I am working on getting my last 2 out of my display, so I can have a nem and softie tank separated from my display.

Very good question, and was a difficult decision because I really like them. When they’re kept with stuff that they’re compatible with, they’re great. But like @H2OPlayar says, when they start spreading, if other stuff can’t fight back, they take over. I had a good run with mine with softies and mushrooms, but I do not to want to mix them with sps and more delicate lps. I’m going to one big tank from two smaller ones, and in my experience, they just don’t play well with many others long term. For a smaller tank where you can get at everything, and if you’re still experimenting with keeping different things, may not be a bad choice. Just be careful and know it could cause problems. I had them for years with sps before I regretted it.

Very good question, and was a difficult decision because I really like them. When they’re kept with stuff that they’re compatible with, they’re great. But like @H2OPlayar says, when they start spreading, if other stuff can’t fight back, they take over. I had a good run with mine with softies and mushrooms, but I do not to want to mix them with sps and more delicate lps. I’m going to one big tank from two smaller ones, and in my experience, they just don’t play well with many others long term. For a smaller tank where you can get at everything, and if you’re still experimenting with keeping different things, may not be a bad choice. Just be careful and know it could cause problems. I had them for years with sps before I regretted it.
Thanks for the insight! Sounds like a 10gal nem+clown tank is the way to go then, yes?
(Not that I have any intention of adding another tank to my tiny apartment. The permit from a higher power only allows for one tank)

So I’ve been communicating a lot via PM, which is great, but I need to keep track of it all somewhere, or I’m going to forget someone. Here’s my current list. If I’ve left anyone out, please let me know - I’m guessing I have at least a dozen, and I’m going to spend some time getting as many off rocks as possible this weekend.

1. The three I listed, passed to @PeetaJai last night, thanks for coming by! May have a couple more this weekend
  2. Holding one for @Apon, need to get it off the rock. Hopefully i can get it to you pretty soon?
  3. Holding a small rock with a few for @Randyadammartin, will pass to him early next week.
  4. Holding a couple for @reef89, will work to get them off rock this weekend
  5. Some for @SanFranSteve, need to verify and coordinate
  6. One for @Aaron C, we’ll work out the details, but hopefully pickup in the next week or so (?)

Last edited:
So I’ve been communicating a lot via PM, which is great, but I need to keep track of it all somewhere, or I’m going to forget someone. Here’s my current list. If I’ve left anyone out, please let me know - I’m guessing I have at least a dozen, and I’m going to spend some time getting as many off rocks as possible this weekend.

1. The three I listed, passed to @PeetaJai last night, thanks for coming by! May have a couple more this weekend
  2. Holding one for @Apon, need to get it off the rock. Hopefully i can get it to you pretty soon?
  3. Holding a small rock with a few for @Randyadammartin, will pass to him early next week.
  6. One for @Aaron C, we’ll work out the details, but hopefully pickup in the next week or so (?)
Thank you Buddy
Nice chatting with you.

whenever for me is fine. no hurry

Hey everyone - So the 'nems are now all in 'nem jail, waiting to be taken to their new homes.
For the folks I have not already been in touch with, they're ready to go, let's work out pickup as soon as is convenient.

Thanks all!

Back