High Tide Aquatics

Calling DIY T5 Users

Wlachnit

Past President
For any of you that run DIY T5 lights, what is the ballast of choice these days? I'm a longtime user 15+ y using Icecap ballasts, but was wondering how the market has evolved wrt overdriving T5 bulbs?

On a related note, any updates on carrier pigeons? Any new techniques for rolling up the tiny paper "text messages" before sending to friends? :)

Advance ballasts are pretty common and there are the “dimmable” ones that some people use (ATI uses dimmable in some fixtures) Phillips makes good T5 ballasts as well.
There was a manufacturer of T5 lamps that had (maybe still has) T5 lamps with a stronger filament in the tubes so the lamps could last longer when overdriven, specially with ballasts such as IceCap since they are really meant to be used with VHO T12 lamps.
IceCap can be dimmed as well but I’m not sure if they would work with the controllers available now on the market. The four-pin connector on the IceCap is where the dimming wiring is to be connected.
I’m not sure if there’s a specific T5 ballast that overdrives a lamp.
ARO made a ballast to drive also VHO T12 lamps, I assume T5’s would be overdriven as well.

Back