Kessil

Carbon and phosphate media how often u change?

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3827.msg44660#msg44660 date=1212611023]
I do the same as Ian as the carbon usually tends to float to the top when you first put it in.
[/quote]

I take my reactor out and empty the water, soak the carbon for a bit in RODI, and then add it to a dried out reactor. Then GFO. I really pack it in so things don't really move around. I put GFO in second because the warning label says high / direct flow will "pulverize" the phosban and could potentially be harmful. I'm guessing the flow would slow down regardless, but not sure. Any other benefits to having carbon in the line of sight first or after?

They actually don't mix. They stay seperate, its pretty weird. I do mine this way b/c I "think" it helps keep the GFO down. I don't like phosban GFO for the pulverizing reason Art states.

I guess I should join the party and set up a carbon/phosphate reactor. Won't be pretty since my tank is has no plumbing lol. Maybe I can use the Zoomed HOB canister for this!

Ballpark figure: For a 40g tank, how much GFO and carbon do you have in your reactors? I'd probably change it once a month

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3827.msg44664#msg44664 date=1212614607]
I guess I should join the party and set up a carbon/phosphate reactor. Won't be pretty since my tank is has no plumbing lol. Maybe I can use the Zoomed HOB canister for this!

Ballpark figure: For a 40g tank, how much GFO and carbon do you have in your reactors? I'd probably change it once a month
[/quote]

Not entirely sure about quantity, usually different brands will have different recommendations. I'd suggest checking out the recommended dosages / amounts the packages talk about. I know, for instance, the ELOS Carbon recommends WAY less per gallon than the Black Diamond brand.

For me I just fill it 2/3rds with carbon, 1/3 with GFO. Seems to work fine for me, though I've never actually done any tests of the quantities vs. the affects.

[quote author=MrManz1691 link=topic=3827.msg44655#msg44655 date=1212610567]
Do you think that chemipur is worth it or do u recomend a different brand of charcoal
[/quote]

While I've used CP extensively in the past I simply use high grade carbon now. I get mine by the 55lb sack via a professional supply house :) Almost gone now, time to re-order :)

back in the day but like ChemiPure I found simple high grade carbon works better. I sometimes use http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm Polyfilter along with carbon as well as GFO.

In a reactor doesn't the carbon get exhausted quicker than the GFO?

Poly-filters are great, I have a little slice between my baffles and change it out every few weeks, mostly for any metal contamination that carbon does not pickup.

AFA Puigen, I've used it many times, back in the day at World Wide we ran it in a fluidized bed filter along with skimming for filtration. We had a much higher success rate with wild Acro colonies when we added it. This was in 91-95, so things have changed since, especially skimmers so it isn't as necessary now in our modern mini-reefs.

It does from my understanding. Thats why I also run some carbon passively in a media bag as well. I should of said that. haha

[quote author=iani link=topic=3827.msg44694#msg44694 date=1212629305]
It does from my understanding. Thats why I also run some carbon passively in a media bag as well. I should of said that. haha
[/quote]

at least from directions, it seems like carbon should be changed out more frequently. I just get lazy and just dump the whole thing, and I just use less GFO than carbon so it doesn't feel like a total waste. In short, it can't hurt to change it out earlier, but you probably aren't getting your money's worth.

If anything, get two reactors, one for carbon, one for GFO, or get a spare reactor sponge, so you can just change out the gfo (given you put it on the top layer).

I seem to recall keeping used up GAC in your system can lead to it leaching stuff back out? AM I just not awake or miss remembering?

That is true Gresham, but isn't it mainly phosphates? Which really shouldn't be an issue if you are running it with good phosphate media.

:D there's always an outside chance my groggy brain wasn't up to par so I had to put a disclaimer :)

Back