got ethical husbandry?

CAS Planetarium no longer "working"?

I was planning on going to see this among many other things at CAS this weekend and a friend replied with

"I'm up for it, but the planetarium is not really a planetarium
anymore...they took out the star projector for unknown reasons,
according to a friend who works there."

Any confirmation of this? I figure one of the readers here would know the 411 ;)

Well, it's working.

However it's not a planetarium in the traditional sense that it has everyone sitting around that ominous robot that projects star light around. Basically you don't get "the night sky"

They basically have upgraded to what most of the new high tech planetariums are doing, gone is the dome really, it's stadium style seating now (REALLY steep!), a huge curved screen in front, and tons of projectors (I don't know how many) so it's kind of like an iMAX show more so than a planetarium show that people know.

Now the downside is that they have *A* show at any given time, I think they're on their 2nd show now. The upside they can do so many things you can't do with a planetarium. Definitely worth a view, however yeah I was a bit disappointed in the lack of nostalgia :D Make sure you get tickets early though, they are free however you just need to get the pass.

I went there after many years; back in the Summer time last year and I think they have five projectors, it was an incredible show; I really felt like traveling in space; took my son and we both enjoyed it like few things in life, yes, that good.
One thing, you need to get there early for passes.

many thanks! I'll be there at the opening. Last time I was at a planetarium, was about 20 years ago at the Griffith Observatory!!!

I used to go watch the Laserium shows to Pink Floyd back in Highschool.. They had the shows at the old Planetarium in SF with the silhouette of the SF cityscape around the rim of the dome.

Since my sister-in-law gave us a 1-year membership pass to CAS, we recently went to see the new planetarium. It's supposed to be the largest Digital Planetarium of its kind. All I know is that if you get motion sickness easily, be prepared. I'm usually not really that impacted by that sort of thing, but the experience made me feel a little queazy by the end of the ride. Nonetheless, a fun experience, even though the old nostalgia has been replaced with modern technology..

Enjoy the expereience!

Mike

Gomer said:
I was planning on going to see this among many other things at CAS this weekend and a friend replied with

"I'm up for it, but the planetarium is not really a planetarium
anymore...they took out the star projector for unknown reasons,
according to a friend who works there."

Any confirmation of this? I figure one of the readers here would know the 411 ;)

I'm sorry; there are some reasonable criticisms of the place but this is kinda silly. :) That's like saying a TV is not a TV unless it uses cathode ray tubes.

Matt, I guess I should have forewarned that that post was by someone who likes to play the game of definitions (he's a physics dude lol).

A planetarium is a theatre built primarily for presenting educational and entertaining shows about astronomy and the night sky, or for training in celestial navigation. A dominant feature of most planetariums is the large dome-shaped projection screen onto which scenes of stars, planets and other celestial objects can be made to appear and move realistically to simulate the complex 'motions of the heavens'. The celestial scenes can be created using a wide variety of technologies, for example precision-engineered 'star balls' that combine optical and electro-mechanical technology, slide projector, video and fulldome projector systems, and lasers. Whatever technologies are used, the objective is normally to link them together to provide an accurate relative motion of the sky. Typical systems can be set to display the sky at any point in time, past or present, and often to show the night sky as it would appear from any point of latitude on Earth.

* The plural of planetarium can be either planetariums or planetaria.
* The term planetarium is sometimes used generically to describe other devices which illustrate the solar system, such as a computer simulation or an orrery.
* The term planetarian is used to describe a member of the professional staff of a planetarium.
* Planetarium software refers to a software application that renders a three dimensional image of the sky onto a two dimensional computer screen.

Does it not deliver the part in bold Tony?

Gresh, I was a bit confused when my friend mentioned it. If it gives me the experience, then I am golden :-D We (ok, a whole bunch of work geeks) frequently get into the most retarded debates :p I think today's had to deal with a combination of "free range" not being what it is made out to be, cow's diet on corn feed vs natural, and "marbling" and all their effects on taste. You would have loved one a couple weeks ago where one of us tried to generate a mathematical formulism to define something as "traditional". I think we just like to argue for the sake of arguing :p

I wish I could work there :) All those topics minus the mathematical formula one sound fun :p

177ike said:
I used to go watch the Laserium shows to Pink Floyd back in Highschool.. They had the shows at the old Planetarium in SF with the silhouette of the SF cityscape around the rim of the dome.

Mike

I'm looking forward to the day CAS brings back Laserium, :love: and my chance to experience the new Planetarium too.

Back