Cali Kid Corals

Cat converter stolen

Unless I'm blind I don't see catalytic converters there, at least specifically for the Prius.

But here's the gist of it.
2hbaaRh.jpg

I think those two bumps on the 'stolen' side are both catalytic converters (aka where all the 'good stuff' is).

This picture is actually from Steven's Creek Toyota, and the part is $1762. Another place I saw has it for $1636, wherever Mission Hills, CA is though, not sure if shipping would be worth the $100 difference. If you can find a used one for significantly cheaper , free frags for all!

The two resonator looking thing is the cat. Double cats for early 00 and on.

For Toyota, look up Milpitas online store. Online prices are much much cheaper than local. With in store pick up available. It’s weird but if you call in and quote the online prices, they say order online for will-call. I’ll see if I can look up link as it’s obscure.

For car-part.com, look up complete exhaust system. I seen them for 200-400? It’s junk yards listing all these stuff.

The smog guys just check the box, and there’s no identifiers to say if it wasn’t original to car or not. Used will still work well.

If you like, I can help you install, it won’t take long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked up a Milpitas store, Piercey (??), same price as Steven's Creek for the part

Car-parts.com only ones that pop up for the exhaust assembly is, some place is Kansas (no way that's CARB) for $750, and another in Colorado, at that that point I might as well order after market.

I do appreciate the help, just looking at the part, if that's what I had, I could probably install that... assuming I could jack my car up enough to get under it.

Man, how do they get that? Wouldn’t they have to jack the car up? There can’t be enough room under a Prius to climb under.
That's exactly what they do. Saw a video, car drives up, passenger gets out, throws a jack under the side and lifts it up (god knows what that does to the alignment), guy goes under, chops where the red line is, snips the wiring harness, undoes the two bolts, probably in reverse order in case they have to get out of there quick. 80 seconds later they're gone.

https://parts.pierceytoyota.com/

When i ordered my rear glass, it was 800 bucks at stevens or mangussen at palo alto. around the same when I called piercy. But at the online piercy store, it was around 300 bucks!

Most of these cars are shipped to all 50 states CARB ready. They are pretty much the same across the board 9/10 times.

What is the part number? Is it? 17410-37160. $500 bucks on ebay.

That one is 2014 model car, gen3 I think(?), mine is 2006 (gen2)

17410-21500 and that's without any hardware to install it, plus would need another O2 sensor on top of that, but that's like $50.

Sorry to hear about this, this has happened a lot to friends and neighbors and the sound of one driving along is unmistakable. It seems that catalytics are just in general a high value part to steal, I got one stolen off my 2002 Honda Odyssey. I think though that’s it’s just easy to resell since the regular California issue ones you would get at the dealership or mechanic are all expensive. That being said since I got a new one I had the mechanic install an anti theft device on it. They’re not cheap but they’re definitely cheaper than a new converter. I recommend getting one installed on your wife’s car. I think the brand I had was called cat defender.

Wow
Very sorry to hear
I’ve heard of this happening a lot around here too
Will you be getting another Prius?
I want to keep the thoughts alive of you delivering that 300 to me on top of your Prius!

At least your reef is happy

Well if I get a new car it won't be another Prius probably. Crime happens, I can be mad at those a-holes all day long, but when the state won't let me do what 47 other states do it's just too frustrating and makes me not want to support that car at all, it seriously reminds me of when I sold my Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla knock off), had to get it smogged to legally sell it, but it was idling too fast, all the numbers from the smog center were lower than most cars, all within the acceptable rating, it just idled too fast, so failed smog. Something was clogged which needed cleaning out but that's besides the point.

That said, I did talk to the wife and decided on keeping the car. No way I'm taking it to a mechanic, the latest quote was $3k for f*cks sake! Still haven't decided which route to go as far as, do I want it to pass smog, or just get it going for the next 2(ish) years then sell it. But it looks like with $1700-1800 worth to go legal, maybe $300-500+ shipping to just get it working in a less than legal way, plus $200 for a metal plate to protect it from future thieves. My wife suggested junk yards for used, and I'm more than willing, but finding the parts isn't proving to be easy, luckily I don't have to rush on it either, I really don't need the car right now, so all I have to do is move it across the street on street sweeping day and other than sounding like a motorcycle (American style) there's no harm in driving it.

Well if I get a new car it won't be another Prius probably. Crime happens, I can be mad at those a-holes all day long, but when the state won't let me do what 47 other states do it's just too frustrating and makes me not want to support that car at all, it seriously reminds me of when I sold my Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla knock off), had to get it smogged to legally sell it, but it was idling too fast, all the numbers from the smog center were lower than most cars, all within the acceptable rating, it just idled too fast, so failed smog. Something was clogged which needed cleaning out but that's besides the point.

That said, I did talk to the wife and decided on keeping the car. No way I'm taking it to a mechanic, the latest quote was $3k for f*cks sake! Still haven't decided which route to go as far as, do I want it to pass smog, or just get it going for the next 2(ish) years then sell it. But it looks like with $1700-1800 worth to go legal, maybe $300-500+ shipping to just get it working in a less than legal way, plus $200 for a metal plate to protect it from future thieves. My wife suggested junk yards for used, and I'm more than willing, but finding the parts isn't proving to be easy, luckily I don't have to rush on it either, I really don't need the car right now, so all I have to do is move it across the street on street sweeping day and other than sounding like a motorcycle (American style) there's no harm in driving it.

Car-part.com is used inventories for junk yard.

Used ones are going for north of $700 +shipping.

Alternatively, do a straight pipe for now and keep an eye out for a used one. The part number is the same for all 50 states. So any junk yard will do.

Mike did call the guy in the video. His number is 916 which is sacramento area.
Yeah, I got into contact with him too. Said 2500 to fix it with "level 1" protection which is steel rods welded to the pipe, which is something I could do if I wanted, plus if I'm paying mechanic mark up for something around the same cost as it does around here, yeah no way I'm going to Sacramento for that.

Man that sucks.
I have a friend who’s Sequoia got both cats stolen; they were paying comprehensive and for the first time, they used it. $5k to replace both.
Couple months back, my brother in law bought a Prius that the previous owner decided to sell for $600 bucks, that’s right, six Benjamins.
He towed the car to the dealership and they informed the lady the cat was stolen and would be $3500 to get a new one installed.
He works part time for a tow company.
The lady offered him the car as they were towing it back to her place but she asked $3000 but he already knew of the high price of the cat and he offered her $600 The lady said she would think about his offer and got his phone number; next day she called him and he got a 2008 Prius
He took it to a shop where a friend works and... wait for it... wait for it...
The criminals were not able to remove the cat !!! It was loose, no bolts and few spots where the culprits tried to hack-off the unit. He purchased a set of bolts, flange and springs, had the shop weld over the opening and installed something to prevent or at least make it harder for the cats to be removed. He loves the car...

When you take the car to be smogged, the technician has to check for the stamping on the cat, normally, the tech uses a mirror. The cat has to be specific for the engine family and the sticker is somewhere in the engine bay.
Not sure if the tech only checks for the cat to be present or indeed checks for the stamping.
I’ll be in Oregon for the 4th of July weekend; I don’t mind bringing you a set of cats (I believe Prius has two?) They would be non-CARB and crossing fingers the car would pass

Here’s a CL ad https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/fremont-new-prius-catalytic-converter/7138030232.html

Wow that was quick, ad closed by author. Guess it sold quick. Just looking at Craigslist though, the number of Prius cars for sale that are missing a catalytic converter is amazing, and the number of people saying they'll buy your Prius without a catalytic converter, yeah that pisses me off.

And the Prius has 2 cats yes, but they come in a set together.

Back