got ethical husbandry?

Check out this build I am working on...

@robert4025 i am curious what type of media you are using for the dastaco carx for the left chamber assuming you are using the cal pure media for the right chamber.
#20. Experimenting with the mix media because I really want to dose natural level of trace elements, which the DaStaco media cannot provide. However, because DaStaco employ really low melting point for their media (about 6.0) on the first chamber, I am hoping the 2nd chamber (they called it the after burner chamber) will be about 6.2-6.5 which is perfect for natural Aragonite media.

I’ll install a PH probe in that 2nd chamber soon to find out once the reactor is put into commission.

#20. Experimenting with the mix media because I really want to dose natural level of trace elements, which the DaStaco media cannot provide. However, because DaStaco employ really low melting point for their media (about 6.0) on the first chamber, I am hoping the 2nd chamber (they called it the after burner chamber) will be about 6.2-6.5 which is perfect for natural Aragonite media.

I’ll install a PH probe in that 2nd chamber soon to find out once the reactor is put into commission.
thanks for the quick response. ill be interested in how it goes. im dosing red sea trace abcd to get my elements back since i am not doing any water changes. im running dastaco c2 on my system.

Not looking forward to cable dressing this on Monday!
E37D1D01-496F-4D39-9BE5-AA908E2F7934.jpeg

Some progress on the cantilevered systems as well. The canopy is built and we chose the granite back splash. Also got the decorative corbels done. They are huge!
683A2709-A0CF-48EC-9443-B3D21423B116.jpeg

Now I'm not electrician... but those cables don't look like they're up to code, nice to see the coffee cup gone though :D

On a more serious note, a bit late for this but if it were me I'd paint that room so when it molds up from moisture it's easier to clean off.

Now I'm not electrician... but those cables don't look like they're up to code, nice to see the coffee cup gone though :D

On a more serious note, a bit late for this but if it were me I'd paint that room so when it molds up from moisture it's easier to clean off.
Hahaha…but did you see the Gatorade???

I did asked them to finish the room but they decided against it due to other higher priorities with the rest of the remodeling stuff.

When I was looking for kitchen countertops I remember that exact type of quartzite. It was the most expensive one at the shop.
I can see why. It’s beautiful though and it will ties everything nicely with the blue theme of a reef tank. Can’t wait to see it all comes together in the next few weeks.

@robert4025,Thanks for sharing these high end builds with us.

What thickness did you go with for that laminated glass? Laminated glass is great for added protection from complete failure but it is only as strong as one piece. So if you have two 3/8” pieces with a 1/16” interlayer it will only be as strong as one piece of 3/8”. Also, it’s a bit more money but I always use a sentry interlayer instead of the standard pvb since it does add some strength and rigidity. It is also more resistant to delamination and is less reactive to UV exposure. Your SE can calculate how much it adds with and without it. I included pictures of a balcony overlooking Laguna Beach. I ended up renting a crane to lift them over the house and into place.

A467102C-DD51-4CFB-A6A0-F2E8C912FD89.jpeg
8E587D58-625D-4007-BC61-D6A53C73D4AC.jpeg

For your cantilevered project, I do a similar design with my floating stairs. Steel beams embedded in the walls which attach to steel wrapped with wood for the treads.
22242433-149E-434C-BA6D-7238C443342D.jpeg

Speaking of laminated glass, out of all the staircases I’ve done with glass guardrails, I’ve only ever shattered laminated pieces. This is one side that shattered.

78182368-2677-4303-BC8B-F873C921058A.jpeg

And this is both sides shattered.
3AA57326-FEC7-484D-917E-74B828E3A773.jpeg

Notice how even with both pieces of glass shattered, it still holds its shape? That is the stronger Sentry interlayer.

Wow that is one beautiful piece of work! Looks so elegant. Other than the shattered part…lol.

Glass was dual 1/2” tempered with sentryglas inter layer.

Last edited:
@robert4025,Thanks for sharing these high end builds with us.

What thickness did you go with for that laminated glass? Laminated glass is great for added protection from complete failure but it is only as strong as one piece. So if you have two 3/8” pieces with a 1/16” interlayer it will only be as strong as one piece of 3/8”. Also, it’s a bit more money but I always use a sentry interlayer instead of the standard pvb since it does add some strength and rigidity. It is also more resistant to delamination and is less reactive to UV exposure. Your SE can calculate how much it adds with and without it. I included pictures of a balcony overlooking Laguna Beach. I ended up renting a crane to lift them over the house and into place.

View attachment 32159View attachment 32160

For your cantilevered project, I do a similar design with my floating stairs. Steel beams embedded in the walls which attach to steel wrapped with wood for the treads.
View attachment 32164

Speaking of laminated glass, out of all the staircases I’ve done with glass guardrails, I’ve only ever shattered laminated pieces. This is one side that shattered.

View attachment 32167

And this is both sides shattered.
View attachment 32166

Notice how even with both pieces of glass shattered, it still holds its shape? That is the stronger Sentry interlayer.
BTW…how did the glass got shattered?

Back